Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The One Single Event that will Cause the Collapse of Physics

1. Jun 7, 2003 #1
    In thought experiments that I have done, I've always thought that there was another universe that is sort of an inverse to ours. It is composed of antimatter (it has "reversed" gravity-a force that repels) and its laws of physics are governed by imaginary numbers (i). If these two universes collide, all gravitational forces will be cancelled and all laws of physics will be false.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2003 #2

jeff

Science Advisor

4. Jun 8, 2003 #3
    well, let's hope that never happens!

5. Jun 8, 2003 #4

FZ+

I wonder though... does entropy work between universes? Does it apply to laws of nature, as well as energy?

6. Jun 8, 2003 #5

no. what happens in another universe can have no observable consiquences in ours.

7. Jun 8, 2003 #6

FZ+

I'm just randomly speculating. This would however help explain a number of useful things. Like the discovery recently that dark energy appeared suddenly billions of years after the big bang could be explained by forces leaking into this universe from another... We might be in the middle of this collision as we speak... :wink:

EDIT: To please the experts in semantics.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2003
  8. Jun 8, 2003 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, you are just randomly speculating. That's very different from "theorizing" which requires that your theory be supported by at least some experimental evidence.

9. Jun 8, 2003 #8

jeff

Science Advisor

Let's do an experiment and see:

candyman
    candyman
    candyman
    candyman
    candyman

Uh oh

Last edited: Jun 9, 2003
  10. Jun 10, 2003 #9
    I think entropy would hold true anywhere that the laws of statistics do, since that's all entropy is, unfortunately

Ordered states are less numerous than unordered ones, and with random actions, you're more likely to end up in a likely state than an unlikely one

For example:
    If you have fifty coins, and you consider an ordered state one where they're all heads or all tails and start it off that way, then flip them all at random, there's very little chance you'll keep ordered, and not just end up with a random selection of coins

11. Jun 12, 2003 #10
    Such universe must have a negative time dimension to exist.

If the pair can annihilate each other, it can also be produced from the photons created in the annihilation of the previous pair of universes. This is like quantum fluctuation when pair of antiparticles appear out of nothing and annihilate each other again.

This is another idea on how the universe comes from! But this would mean that the universe has no beginning and ending!

And the universe is virtual!

physicskid

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?