Is The Onion Asking for Subscription Fees Now?

• Thread starter Medicol
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses a digital news site in the US that is now requiring readers to subscribe before reading more articles. The site used to be free but is now implementing a fee for service model. The management team is aware of the low incomes of their readers and some find the publication to be worth the subscription fee. The Onion, the news source in question, is known for its satire and commentary.
Medicol
This is the first time I know a digital news site asks readers to subscribe before reading more articles in the US. It happens while I am reading only 1 article and a popup displays to ask me so saying that I have to subscribe because I have read up all free articles. I am confused.

http://www.theonion.com/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are plenty of news sources (in the US at least) that use a fee for service model. Some of them used to be free.

phinds said:
There are plenty of news sources (in the US at least) that use a fee for service model. Some of them used to be free.

Yes, good old days! :approve::biggrin:

What? The authors of The Onion want to be paid so they can feed their families? The nerve!

See the attachment.:redface:
The management team seems to know pretty well about our monthly low incomes :biggrin:

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 493
Medicol said:
This is the first time I know a digital news site asks readers to subscribe before reading more articles in the US. It happens while I am reading only 1 article and a popup displays to ask me so saying that I have to subscribe because I have read up all free articles. I am confused.

http://www.theonion.com/
I hope you are aware that the news articles aren't real, they are satire, entertainment. :smile: But they usually do have excellent commentary.

1. What is "The Onion asks me to pay"?

"The Onion asks me to pay" is a satirical article from the popular online humor publication, The Onion. It is not a real request for payment, but rather a joke about the idea of a satire news site asking for money.

2. Why does The Onion publish articles like this?

The Onion is known for its satirical take on current events and news stories. The purpose of articles like "The Onion asks me to pay" is to entertain and make people laugh by poking fun at societal norms and expectations.

3. Is there any truth to the article?

No, there is no truth to the article. The Onion is a fictional publication and all of its articles are meant to be humorous and not taken seriously.

4. Are there any hidden meanings in the article?

There are no hidden meanings in "The Onion asks me to pay." It is simply a joke and should not be analyzed too deeply. However, some people may interpret it as a commentary on the state of journalism and the pressure for news outlets to make money.

5. Does The Onion make money from its articles?

The Onion makes money primarily through advertising and merchandise sales. While some articles may have a paywall for access, this is also done as a joke and not an actual way for The Onion to make money.