What Do Vocal Bursts Reveal About Human Emotions?

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
In summary: C In summary, the UC Berkeley researchers found that a sigh is not just a sigh, that huh? is a universal word, and that Oops, I just made the mistake of clicking on "Ecstasy" in the middle of the diagram.
In a recent article in the American Psychologist:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-02-gasp-audio-oohs-aahs-uh-ohs.html

Researchers have mapped out 24 different emotions expressed as Oohs and Ahhs and related spontaneous sounds:

Ooh, surprise! Those spontaneous sounds we make to express everything from elation (woohoo) to embarrassment (oops) say a lot more about what we're feeling than previously understood, according to new UC Berkeley research.Proving that a sigh is not just a sigh, scientists conducted a statistical analysis of listener responses to more than 2,000 nonverbal exclamations known as "vocal bursts" and found they convey at least 24 kinds of emotion. Previous studies of vocal bursts set the number of recognizable emotions closer to 13.

Likes BillTre
Biology news on Phys.org
I saw that in the article but didn't try it out since it didn't work with mobile devices.

Just tried it now, Its pretty cool too.

.Scott said:
They created this interactive map:
https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/vocs/map.html#
In 2013, the word "huh?" was called a universal word by a study, meaning that it is the same in all languages.
It is supposed to used to in response to someone saying something which was not clearly understood.
Based upon that, I was able to find huh in the diagram. There are few of them about half way between "confusion" and "interest", which makes sense based on its being a request for clarification.
The huh? article contends that:
Huh? is a universal word not because it is innate but because it is shaped by selective pressures in an interactional environment that all languages share: that of other-initiated repair.

Likes sysprog and jedishrfu
.Scott said:
They created this interactive map:
https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/vocs/map.html#
Oops, I just made the mistake of clicking on "Ecstasy" in the middle of the diagram. I should have thought to turn my PC speakers down first... (I'm at work)

o0)

Likes sysprog, BillTre, Tom.G and 3 others
Male of female voice? Was your office door open or closed? :blushing:

Tom.G said:
Male of female voice? Was your office door open or closed? :blushing:
LOL. Female voice, and my current office environment is open top cubicles, with the walls only about 1.5m tall.

Way cool. In Southern India, among Tamil & Malayalam speakers, there's an interjection, "Aiyoo!" which, depending on the inflection conveys either positive surprise/approbation or (somewhat) negative surprise/reproval. English has no equivalent, but it's fun to say and useful to convey emotion. I couldn't find the equivalent on the map, but I was somewhat limited by my tablet.

Here's the link to the PNAS article (open access):
https://www.pnas.org/content/114/38/E7900

Likes jedishrfu and berkeman
It is pretty widespread cop lore that if a subject who is being questioned (in a field situation, like a traffic stop or a sidewalk conversation or such) says "Huh?" pretty much anything that follows will be lies.

I am not a cop, and cannot authoritatively confirm this, but I have heard this many times.

diogenesNY

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is "The Oohs and Ahhs of Humanity"?

"The Oohs and Ahhs of Humanity" is a scientific concept that refers to the emotional reactions and expressions of amazement, wonder, and awe that humans experience in response to various stimuli, such as nature, art, music, or technology.

2. Why do humans experience oohs and ahhs?

Humans experience oohs and ahhs as a result of a complex interaction between our brains, emotions, and environment. These reactions are believed to have evolved as a way for us to appreciate and connect with the world around us, and to motivate us to explore and learn more about it.

3. Are oohs and ahhs universal?

While some reactions may be universal, such as awe in response to a beautiful sunset, the specific stimuli that elicit oohs and ahhs may vary across cultures and individuals. Factors such as personal experiences and cultural norms can influence how and when we express these emotions.

4. Can oohs and ahhs be studied scientifically?

Yes, oohs and ahhs can be studied scientifically through various methods such as brain imaging, surveys, and observational studies. Researchers in fields such as psychology, neuroscience, and anthropology have explored the underlying mechanisms and cultural variations of these reactions.

5. How can understanding oohs and ahhs benefit society?

Understanding oohs and ahhs can benefit society in several ways. It can help us better appreciate and protect the natural world, enhance our experiences with art and music, and improve our interactions with technology. Additionally, understanding these emotions can also inform marketing and advertising strategies, as well as contribute to our understanding of human behavior and well-being.

Back