What Are the Dimensions of a Canvas Tent for Maximum Volume?

In summary, the problem is asking to find the dimensions of a right-circular cone that maximizes the volume given a fixed amount of canvas material. The formulas for volume and curved surface area of a cone are provided, and the problem can be solved by finding the largest possible value of a function involving the radius and height.
roam
Hello!

Here's a question that I couldn't understand;

A canvas tent is to be constructed in the shape of a right-circular cone with the ground as base;

Using the volume V and curved surface area S of the cone,
[tex]V = \frac{1}{3}\pi r^2 h[/tex], [tex]S = \pi rl[/tex],

Find the dimensions of the cone that maximises the volume for the [tex]4 \sqrt{3 \pi}[/tex] m² of canvas material, and find this maximum volume.

I'd appreciate it if you could give me some hints and guidance so I can get started on this question. I really don't understand what this question means, and there are no measures of height, base, redius etc.. are given... :rolleyes:

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:
Hello!

Here's a question that I couldn't understand;

A canvas tent is to be constructed in the shape of a right-circular cone with the ground as base;

Using the volume V and curved surface area S of the cone,
[tex]V = \frac{1}{3}\pi r^2 h[/tex], [tex]S = \pi rl[/tex],

Find the dimensions of the cone that maximises the volume for the [tex]4 \sqrt{3 \pi}[/tex] m² of canvas material, and find this maximum volume.

I'd appreciate it if you could give me some hints and guidance so I can get started on this question. I really don't understand what this question means, and there are no measures of height, base, redius etc.. are given... :rolleyes:

Thank you.
Yes, those are what you are asked to find! It does say "find the dimensions". The problem is asking: out of all cones with surface area [itex]4\sqrt{3 \pi}[/itex] m[2 of material, which r and h (radius and height) will give the largest volume? You know the two formulas: [itex]V= \pi r^2h/3[/itex], [itex]S= \pi rl[/itex]. l, of course, is the "slant height". Using the Pythagorean theorem, l2= r2+ h2.

As to how to solve the problem, the best method depends upon your level of study. Since you don't seem to have seen problems like this you are probably in basic calculus. Since you must have [itex]S= \pi rl= \pi r\sqrt{r^2+ h^2}= 4\sqrt{3\pi}[/itex]. Squaring both sides of that [itex]\pi^2r^2(r^2+ h^2)= 48\pi[/itex]. You can solve that for h and replace h in V= \pi r^2h/3 by that to get a problem in just the one variable r. Use whatever methods you know to find the largest possible value of that function.

1. What is "The Optimization Problem"?

"The Optimization Problem" refers to a mathematical problem that involves finding the best solution from all possible solutions within a given set of constraints. It is a common problem in various fields such as economics, engineering, and computer science.

2. Why is "The Optimization Problem" important?

"The Optimization Problem" is important because it helps us make informed decisions by finding the most efficient and effective solution to a problem. It can also help us save time, reduce costs, and improve overall performance.

3. What are the different types of "The Optimization Problem"?

There are several types of "The Optimization Problem", including linear programming, integer programming, non-linear programming, and dynamic programming. Each type has its own specific characteristics and techniques for solving the problem.

4. What are the common techniques used to solve "The Optimization Problem"?

Some common techniques used to solve "The Optimization Problem" include gradient descent, brute force search, genetic algorithms, and simulated annealing. The choice of technique depends on the type and complexity of the problem.

5. How is "The Optimization Problem" used in real-world applications?

"The Optimization Problem" is used in various real-world applications, such as supply chain management, resource allocation, portfolio optimization, and machine learning. It can help businesses and organizations make data-driven decisions and improve their operations.