What is the Topological Interpretation of Orders of Poles in Rational Functions?

In summary: The wikipedia article seems to describe that.In summary, the conversation discusses the order of poles in a rational function and how it can be calculated using different methods. The function (z^2+z-2)/(z-1)^2 is shown to have a simple pole at z=1, despite initially appearing to have a double pole. It is also mentioned that the order of a pole is a measure of the rate of growth of the function and can be interpreted topologically.
dyn
Hi.
If I look at the function ## (z^2+z-2)/(z-1)^2## it appears to have a double pole at z=1 but if I factorise the numerator I get ##z^2+z-2 = (z+2)(z-1)## and it is a simple pole.
Is it wrong to say it is a double pole ?
If I overestimate the order of the pole in this case as 2 and calculate the residue using limits and differentials I still get the correct answer. Is this always true ?
In this case the numerator was easy to factorise. If it was a complicated function involving higher powers that couldn't be factorised is it possible to say for certain what the order of the pole is just by looking at the denominator ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that ##\frac {z^2+z-2}{(z-1)^2}## has a pole of order one. In defining the order of a pole of ##f(z)##, it is usual to say that ##(z-a)^nf(z)## is holomorphic and nonzero for a pole of order n.
(seehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeros_and_poles#Definitions )

• Informative
Likes hutchphd
Hence my confusion !

FactChecker said:
I would say that ##\frac {z^2+z-2}{(z-1)^2}## has a pole of order one. In defining the order of a pole of ##f(z)##, it is usual to say that ##(z-a)^nf(z)## is holomorphic and nonzero for a pole of order n.
(seehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeros_and_poles#Definitions )
But we have ##(z-1)^2f(z)=(z-1)^2\dfrac{[(z-1)(z+2)]}{(z-1)^2}##. The numerator is not defined at ##z=1## hence it cannot be equal to ##z+2##.

It is a rather academic question and of not much use: What if we combine a removable singularity with a non removable? A bit like discussing why units are not prime.

Interesting … I learned that the order of a pole of a function that is analytic in a closed region except at an isolated point, is defined as the largest negative exponent in the Laurent expansion about that point. My old copy of "A Course of Modern Analysis" by Whittaker and Watson also has this definition. Since the Laurent expansion of the function about ##z=1## is ##1 + 3/(z-1)##, the pole at ##z=1## is of order 1. Practically, I use the approach given by FactChecker.

fresh_42

Jason

Likes Delta2 and FactChecker
Yes, it's probably reasonable to cancel the quotient if there is still the same pole available, so that the same undefined points are still there.

For a simpler example, [itex]f(z)= \frac{z- 1}{z- 1}[/itex] has a "removable discontinuity" at z= 1, not a pole.

dyn said:
Hi.
If I look at the function ## (z^2+z-2)/(z-1)^2## it appears to have a double pole at z=1 but if I factorise the numerator I get ##z^2+z-2 = (z+2)(z-1)## and it is a simple pole.
Is it wrong to say it is a double pole ?

So it seems the function has a simple pole and it is wrong to say it is a double pole. But if I overestimate the pole as a double pole and calculate the residue using limits and derivatives I get the correct answer. Does this method of calculating residues always work if the order of poles is overestimated eg. by not spotting a factorisation ?
Thanks

Yes, you do not have to factor it. The residue at ##z_0## only depends on the coefficient of the ##\frac 1{z-z_0} ## term in the Laurent series. So the effect of any numerator/denominator zeros that cancel each other will disappear.

Likes dyn
Thank you

the order of the pole is a measure of the rate of growth of the function as you approach the given point. In particular it depends only on the values of the function away from the given point, not on the specific representation of the function. Since the two representations (z^2+z-2)/(z-1)^2 and (z+2)/(z-1) define the same functional values away from z=1, the functions they represent are the same and have the same order of pole at z=1. Similarly any calculations that depend only on the values away from z=1 (such as taking limits) will give the same result.

A simpler example that illustrates the same point is to ask yourself whether the function (z-1)/(z-1) has a simple pole at z=1. Since this is (or extends continuously to) the constant function 1, it has no poles at all.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
mathwonk said:
the order of the pole is a measure of the rate of growth of the function as you approach the given point. In particular it depends only on the values of the function away from the given point, not on the specific representation of the function.
And more generally, how the function behaves in the complex plane around the pole. If it is a pole at ##z_0## of order ##n##, then the function behaves like ##\frac {b_n} {(z-z_0)^n}## near ##z_0##.

yes, for example it wraps a small circle around z0, n times around the point at infinity.

Likes FactChecker
Indeed there is a topological interpretation of orders of poles. A rational function defines a continuous map from the riemann sphere to itself, and hence has a certain degree. That degree is the number of preimages of any given point, and in particular is the sum of the orders of all the poles, i.e. the number of preimages of infinity, properly counted.

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42 and FactChecker

1. What is the order of complex poles?

The order of complex poles refers to the number of poles in a complex function. Poles are points at which the function becomes infinite or undefined. Complex poles are poles that exist in the complex plane, which includes both real and imaginary numbers.

2. How is the order of complex poles determined?

The order of complex poles can be determined by counting the number of poles in the complex function. This can be done by factoring the function and identifying the poles, or by graphing the function and counting the number of poles in the complex plane.

3. What is the significance of the order of complex poles?

The order of complex poles can provide important information about the behavior of a complex function. It can indicate the stability of a system, as well as the number of resonant frequencies present in the function.

4. Can the order of complex poles change?

Yes, the order of complex poles can change depending on the function and its parameters. For example, if the coefficients of the function are altered, the number and location of poles may change.

5. How is the order of complex poles related to the concept of poles and zeros?

The order of complex poles is directly related to the concept of poles and zeros. In a complex function, the number of poles and zeros must be equal, and the order of complex poles is equal to the number of poles minus the number of zeros. This relationship is known as the pole-zero cancellation theorem.