Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The order of cyclic subgroups

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    Today we learned about subgroups of cyclic groups G = <a>. During the discussion we reached this point:

|<a^k>| = minimum L, L > 0, such that a^(kL) = 1.
    |G| = n.
    Then a^kL = a^bn, thus kL = bn, and thus L = n/gcd(k, n).

However, I don't understand the bolded. My number theory is terrible, and I don't really see where the gcd(k, n) comes from.

I understand that if gcd(k, n) = 1 that <a^k> = <a>, but the connection to L = n/gcd(k,n) just isn't apparent to me. Can someone shine some light on this for me?

Thanks, I appreciate it!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2008 #2
    Bleh, I think I figured it out. kL is a multiple of n and L is the lowest integer that makes kL a multiple of N. If gcd(k,n)=1 then L is just n, otherwise it has to be a multiple of n. If gcd(k,n)=d then k=sd and L=n/gcd(k,n) so kL=sn and s=b.

Is this correct?
  4. Oct 22, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I really don't like the way the original proof is worded. What exactly is b?
  5. Oct 22, 2008 #4
    Some arbitrary integer as far as I can tell.
  6. Oct 22, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If that's the case, then a^kL = a^bn doesn't in general imply that kL = bn.
  7. Oct 22, 2008 #6
    Ok then I'm really confused. a^kL=a^bn = 1, how can I then generalize this to find L?

EDIT: Normally I'd just ask the professor, but it was a "substitute professor" if you will and I honestly don't know who the man is/was.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?