1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The ordered pair <-3,2> represents vector XY. Give possible coordinates for X and Y?

1. Jul 7, 2011 #1
    The ordered pair <-3,2> represents vector XY. Give possible coordinates for X and Y?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really have no clue how to even attempt this problem since I haven't ever been given such a problem. Could I get any help please?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: The ordered pair <-3,2> represents vector XY. Give possible coordinates for X and

Welcome to the PF.

It probably means that the vector stretches -3 units in the x direction, and +2 units in the y direction. You can draw infinitely many vectors with those dimensions, each one starting at a different (x,y) point on the graph.

Can you give several ordered pairs of (x,y) points that have that length vector between them? Each answer should have a starting (x,y) point and an ending (x,y) point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook