The origin of baryon number

1. I'm doing a little research on quarks on stumbled upon the baryon number. Wikipedia says that the notion predates the quark model. I have no clue why particle physicists were motivated to introduce it before flavour quantum numbers came to the scene.

So... What's the (historical) origin of baryon number?

2. jcsd
  3. Vanadium 50

Vanadium 50 17,589
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Baryon number as a conserved quantity was to explain why you didn't see decays like p -> e+ pi0.

4. Meir Achuz

Meir Achuz 2,059
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In all known experiments so far, the number of baryons is conserved, and the notion goes back to the early beta decay experiments. This has nothing to do with quarks, but most quark models incorporate baryon number conservation. Some extended symmetry theories predict proton decay into leptons and mesons which would violate baryon number conservation.

5. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 14,924
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well baryons were observed before the quark model and their behaviors documented.

One of the things researchers try is to sort things into groups and see what makes sense.

Doesn't it seem reasonable to count matter as +1 and antimatter as -1? Once you've done that for nucleons, and looked at what happens to the numbers in various nuclear reactions, what would be a sensible number to give mesons?

6. PAllen

PAllen 5,453
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where the quark model helps explain baryon number is motivating why baryon number of mesons is zero (quark/antiquark pair). Baryon number could be replaced with quark number, but everyone was used to baryon number.

7. Thanks everyone for your input! Got the type of answers I wanted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted