The original handheld (digital) calculator.

In summary, this handheld calculator was designed in the concentration camp of Buchenwald, and was manufactured from 1948 until 1970. It was popularized in the early 1970s when electronic calculators came on the market. It is a well-engineered calculator with a beautiful design. Its dimensions are 55mm in diameter and 85mm long, and it can be used to do sin and cosin. It can also be used as a pencil sharpener. Commercialization of this calculator may be possible, given its nostalgic and functional design.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The original handheld calculator.

Curta

This was designed in Buchenwald, the German concentration camp, the first prototypes built from the original hand drawings worked. It was manufactured from 1948 till ~1970 when cheap electronic calculators came on the market.

I would love to hold one of these mechanical beauties and feel the gears at work! (Can be had for ~$1000 on Ebay.)

There is a article about the history of the man and the machine in the Jan 04 Sci. Am.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
WOW!
What an absolutely brilliant design!

I am impressed.
I want one.

Yeah, me too! I think I am in love! Unfortunatly they are simply to expensive a toy at this point in my life.

Originally posted by Integral
Yeah, me too! I think I am in love! Unfortunatly they are simply to expensive a toy at this point in my life.

And unfortunately for me, my girlfriend would say the same about me (although she is wrong:wink:).

I originally posted this in Engineerind design, cus this is such a beautiful example of a well engineered product, but, on second thoughts. It is not about design. But a really cool and amazing machine.

But the real question is: Can it run Linux?

What a BEAST! and if someone annoys you, you can club them with it! (see Ivan's thread) THat is really great and i think that it should be made cumpulsory in every home, as a great calculator, and a handy security measure, in case of break-ins.

I thought a thread titled: "The original handheld calculator." would be about the abacus. Ever used an abacus, Integral?

i was thinking of abacuses (abaci??) but you still have to do the working out anyway don't you? It is just a visual aid i thought...

what a great toy, i would try to use it on a test but of course it probably isn't on the list of accepted calcs lol.

Originally posted by jimmy p
What a BEAST! and if someone annoys you, you can club them with it! (see Ivan's thread) That is really great and i think that it should be made cumpulsory in every home, as a great calculator, and a handy security measure, in case of break-ins.

Did you actually look at the dimensions on this thing? It is 55mm in Diameter and 85mm long! you consider this a bludgeon?

I have seen handheld electonic calculators bigger then this. i.e. a TI 9X what ever the number on those huge inelegant monsters is.

It could be a mini-club. Yeah, graphical calculators are also beasts. And damn annoying.

Pretty clever design, incorporating a calculator in the shell of a pencil sharpener. Now... can it still sharpen pencils?

Lets see Texas Instruments make a calculator that dual functions as a pencil sharpener.

Commercialize it: "Broken pencil? Forgot your calculator? Have no fear, Curta is here!"

does it do sin and cosin?

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
does it do sin and cosin?

Does sin fine...for small angles!

That calculator reminds me of the ENIAC . A total monstrosity of a machine which filled an entire room and weighed thirty tons.

Not sure why something that fits in the palm of your hand would remind you of a monstrosity? This little mechanical calculator is about as elegant as mechanical design can get.

A Monstrosity? What could you be thinking!

I must be needing some sleep.. it looked big to me. I meant big as a car battery, not a full room!

/goes to bed

Last edited:
Originally posted by The_Professional
That calculator reminds me of the ENIAC . A total monstrosity of a machine which filled an entire room and weighed thirty tons.

Now THAT'S a bludgeoning implement...if i had quite a few like-minded friends with forklift trucks...

What is the history of the original handheld calculator?

The original handheld calculator was invented by Jack Kilby and Jerry Merryman in 1967 at Texas Instruments. It was called the "Cal Tech" and had a basic four-function calculator with a LED display.

How did the original handheld calculator work?

The original handheld calculator used integrated circuits to perform calculations and had a battery-powered display. It had a limited memory capacity and could only perform basic arithmetic operations.

What was the impact of the original handheld calculator on society?

The original handheld calculator revolutionized the way people did calculations, making it faster and more convenient. It also paved the way for future advancements in handheld technology and led to the development of more sophisticated calculators.

How much did the original handheld calculator cost?

When it was first released, the original handheld calculator cost $150, making it quite expensive. However, as technology advanced, the price decreased, making it more accessible to the general public.

Is the original handheld calculator still used today?

While the original handheld calculator is no longer in production, its basic design and functions are still the foundation for modern calculators. Many people still use handheld calculators for everyday calculations, and they are also used in various industries such as finance and engineering.