Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators The original handheld (digital) calculator.

1. Feb 17, 2004 #1

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The original handheld calculator.

Curta

This was designed in Buchenwald, the German concentration camp, the first prototypes built from the original hand drawings worked. It was manufactured from 1948 till ~1970 when cheap electronic calculators came on the market.

I would love to hold one of these mechanical beauties and feel the gears at work! (Can be had for ~$1000 on Ebay.)

There is a article about the history of the man and the machine in the Jan 04 Sci. Am.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2004 #2
    WOW!
    What an absolutely brilliant design!

I am impressed.
    I want one.

4. Feb 17, 2004 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, me too! I think I am in love! Unfortunatly they are simply to expensive a toy at this point in my life.

5. Feb 17, 2004 #4
    And unfortunately for me, my girlfriend would say the same about me (although she is wrong:wink:).

6. Feb 18, 2004 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I originally posted this in Engineerind design, cus this is such a beautiful example of a well engineered product, but, on second thoughts. It is not about design. But a really cool and amazing machine.

7. Feb 18, 2004 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

But the real question is: Can it run Linux?

8. Feb 18, 2004 #7

jimmy p

Gold Member

What a BEAST!!! and if someone annoys you, you can club them with it! (see Ivan's thread) THat is really great and i think that it should be made cumpulsory in every home, as a great calculator, and a handy security measure, in case of break-ins.

9. Feb 18, 2004 #8
    I thought a thread titled: "The original handheld calculator." would be about the abacus. Ever used an abacus, Integral?

10. Feb 18, 2004 #9

jimmy p

Gold Member

i was thinking of abacuses (abaci??) but you still have to do the working out anyway dont you? It is just a visual aid i thought...

11. Feb 18, 2004 #10
    what a great toy, i would try to use it on a test but of course it probably isn't on the list of accepted calcs lol.

12. Feb 18, 2004 #11

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you actually look at the dimensions on this thing? It is 55mm in Diameter and 85mm long! you consider this a bludgeon?

I have seen handheld electonic calculators bigger then this. i.e. a TI 9X what ever the number on those huge inelegant monsters is.

13. Feb 18, 2004 #12

jimmy p

Gold Member

It could be a mini-club. Yeah, graphical calculators are also beasts. And damn annoying.

14. Feb 18, 2004 #13
    Pretty clever design, incorporating a calculator in the shell of a pencil sharpener. Now... can it still sharpen pencils?

Lets see Texas Instruments make a calculator that dual functions as a pencil sharpener.

Commercialize it: "Broken pencil? Forgot your calculator? Have no fear, Curta is here!"

15. Feb 18, 2004 #14
    does it do sin and cosin?

16. Feb 19, 2004 #15

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does sin fine.....for small angles!

17. Feb 19, 2004 #16
    That calculator reminds me of the ENIAC . A total monstrosity of a machine which filled an entire room and weighed thirty tons.

18. Feb 19, 2004 #17

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not sure why something that fits in the palm of your hand would remind you of a monstrosity??? This little mechanical calculator is about as elegant as mechanical design can get.

A Monstrosity??? What could you be thinking!

19. Feb 19, 2004 #18
    I must be needing some sleep.. it looked big to me. I meant big as a car battery, not a full room!

/goes to bed

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  20. Feb 19, 2004 #19

jimmy p

Gold Member

Now THAT'S a bludgeoning implement...if i had quite a few like-minded friends with forklift trucks...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?