Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The past set of a stationary observer in Kerr space-time

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I'm studying the general relativity with the book by Woodhouse, and I have a question about the past set in Kerr metric.

On page 161, there's a question asking that

: Show that there exists [itex]r_{0}[/itex] such that the past set [itex]I^{-}(\omega)[/itex] is the whole of the region [itex] r\geq r_{0}[/itex], where [itex]\omega[/itex] is the world line of any stationary observer.

The hint for it on page 197 says that

1. Define [itex]g_{ab}\geq g'_{ab}[/itex] by that for every vector which is timelike with repect to [itex]g'_{ab}[/itex], it's also time like with respect to [itex]g_{ab}[/itex]. (OK)

2. Lemma1. Prove that this is a partial ordering. (Trivial)

3. Lemma2. Show that if [itex]g_{ab}\geq g'_{ab}[/itex], then [itex]I^{-}(\omega)\supseteq I'^{-}(\omega)[/itex]
    (I can't prove it. Is a geodesic in [itex]g'_{ab}[/itex] also a geodesic in [itex]g_{ab}[/itex]? I don't think so...)

4. For the Kerr metric [itex]g_{ab}[/itex], taking [itex]g'_{ab}=g_{ab} - k t_{a} t_{b}[/itex] (where [itex]t_{a} = (1,0,0,0)[/itex] in B-L coordinate), construct a flat space-time metric on [itex]r \geq r_{0}[/itex] with [itex]g_{ab}\geq g'_{ab}[/itex].
    (I can't again. Does 'a flat space' mean 'an approximate flat space'? If so, the Kerr space-time itself becomes flat when r is large... What's wrong with my idea?)

Finally assuming 1~4 above, I still cannot answer the original problem... What's the relation with them? Please anybody going to help me?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted