The path of crossing a stream

In summary: I think what you're getting at is that the Pythagorean theorem won't always yield an equation that is equal.
Hendrick

Homework Statement

A watercraft is crossing the stream to reach the pier. (See attached figure.)

Basically, I have to derive an ordinary differential equation of the path the watercraft travels, which I can then solve using MatLab, etc.
i.e. derive [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] in terms of [tex]V_{W}[/tex], [tex]V_{B}[/tex], [tex]x[/tex], [tex]y[/tex] & [tex]W[/tex] only (no trigonometric functions nor [tex]\beta[/tex]).

Homework Equations

[tex]V_{W} =[/tex] speed of stream
[tex]V_{B} =[/tex] craft speed rel. static water
[tex]W =[/tex] stream width

At a point (x,y), the ruling equations for the watercraft are:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = V_{W} - V_{B}sin\beta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = V_{B}cos\beta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{dt} \times \frac{dt}{dx} = \frac{V_{W} - V_{B}sin\beta}{V_{B}cos\beta}[/tex]

I think:
[tex]W = V_{B}cos\beta.t[/tex]
[tex]x = cos\beta[/tex]
[tex]y = sin\beta[/tex]

I know that I have to find an equivalent for [tex]cos\beta[/tex] & [tex]sin\beta[/tex] but I am perplexed at this moment...

- Thanks

Attachments

• River crossing.bmp
    277.1 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
you haven't told what the question was. Is the goal to arrive at the pier in the shortest time, or is the boat always pointing towards the pier?
If the boat is always pointing towards the pier, you can get sin(beta) and cos(beta) from x, and y. You have to chose an origin for the coordinates.

Sorry, yes the watercraft does always point towards the pier (throughout the journey).
Please see the attached figure for a more representative diagram.
What do you mean by choosing an origin?

Thanks

Attachments

• River crossing.bmp
    277.1 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
You have to chose where the point with x=0, y=0 is. From what you've written so far this isn't clear.
What you've done so far is ok, but you still need sin(beta) and cos(beta)
I think drawing a triangle with the following sides will help:
1. a line from the boat to the pier
2. a line going through the pier in the direction of the y-axis
3. and a line going through the boat in the direction of the x-axis

Do you mean like this? (See attached figure.)
Wouldn't the initial position be (0,0)?

Thanks

Attachments

• River crossing triangle.bmp
    277.1 KB · Views: 492
Hendrick said:
Do you mean like this? (See attached figure.)

just draw the boat somewhere in the middle of the stream at position (x,y)

Wouldn't the initial position be (0,0)?

It may be a bit easier to use the pier as (0,0). of course you only have to make the substitution u = y + w to get from one to the other.

How about this? (See attached figure)

Thanks

Attachments

• River crossing triangle2.bmp
    294 KB · Views: 473
I think this diagram is more accurate than my previous one. (See attached figure)

Attachments

• River crossing triangle3.bmp
    294 KB · Views: 459
Hendrick said:
I think this diagram is more accurate than my previous one. (See attached figure)

finding cos(theta) and sin(theta) as a function of x and y should be easy from this rightanled triangle, with all the sides known.

Hi,

was the hypotenuse correct?
Because if I did it via Pythagoras, it yields an equation which I do not think is equal.
[tex]\sqrt{(W-x)^{2}+y^{2}}[/tex]

Hendrick said:
Hi,

was the hypotenuse correct?
Because if I did it via Pythagoras, it yields an equation which I do not think is equal.
[tex]\sqrt{(W-x)^{2}+y^{2}}[/tex]

Yes. What do you mean with an equation that is not equal?

1. What is the best way to cross a stream?

The best way to cross a stream depends on the specific stream and its conditions. Generally, it is recommended to look for a shallow and wide area where the current is not too strong. If possible, try to find rocks or logs to step on for stability. It is also important to always face upstream and use a walking stick or pole for balance.

2. How do I safely navigate through a strong current while crossing a stream?

If the stream has a strong current, it is important to look for a slower-moving area or a shallower section. It is also recommended to use a rope or a sturdy branch to help maintain balance and stability. If necessary, you can also try to cross the stream in a zigzag pattern to reduce the impact of the current.

3. Is it safe to cross a stream barefoot?

It is generally not recommended to cross a stream barefoot. Sharp rocks or debris can cause injuries to your feet, and the water can be very cold, leading to numbness and difficulty walking. It is always best to wear appropriate footwear with good traction when crossing a stream.

4. What should I do if I fall into a stream while crossing it?

If you fall into a stream, try to stay calm and avoid panicking. Orient yourself towards the downstream direction and try to swim towards the shore. If possible, grab onto any nearby rocks or branches to help you stay afloat. It is important to always have a plan for what to do in case of an emergency while crossing a stream.

5. How can I minimize my impact on the stream and its ecosystem while crossing it?

To minimize your impact on the stream and its ecosystem, try to cross at a designated crossing point if available. Avoid stepping on plants or disturbing the streambed. If you are carrying any gear, make sure it is properly sealed and does not come into contact with the water. Always leave the area as clean as possible and follow any regulations or guidelines in place for the specific stream.