The period of earth's orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the period of Earth's orbit using Kepler's law and Newton's modified form of Kepler's law. The given values for the distance to the sun and the mass of the sun are provided, and the speaker is seeking assistance in solving the problem. The expert suggests looking in a textbook or using Google to find the necessary information.
maddad
Please help...
Given that the distance to the sun from the Earth is 1.5*10^11 m and the the mass of the sun is 1.9*10^30 kg.
Using Keplers law find the period of the Earth's orbit recorded in seconds; show how to express your anwser in years; and if your anwser does not agree with the accepted Earth's orbital period of 365.25 days, explain the discrepancy.
I am totally lost using Keplers law, I need your help ... Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should post this in the homework help section.

Look up Kepler's laws. There are 3 of them. One deals with this exact problem. Look up Newton's modified form of Kepler's law. Look up the values that they gave you in the problem and confirm if they're the correct values.

Moving to HW

Dear Sir, this is my first time in a forum, and I don't know how to retrieve the posted information. Can you please explain how do I get the anwser to my problem> Thanks!

You retrieve it by using your textbook. Look in the index for "Kepler's Laws", specifically his 3rd law. Or you can Google "Kepler's Laws" and "Newton's modified form of Kepler's Law".

1. What is the period of Earth's orbit around the Sun?

The period of Earth's orbit around the Sun is approximately 365.24 Earth days, or one sidereal year. This is the time it takes for Earth to complete one full orbit around the Sun.

2. How is the period of Earth's orbit calculated?

The period of Earth's orbit is calculated by dividing the circumference of Earth's orbit by its average orbital speed. This calculation takes into account the gravitational force of the Sun and the velocity of Earth's orbit.

3. Is the period of Earth's orbit constant?

No, the period of Earth's orbit is not constant. Due to the gravitational pull of other planets and celestial bodies, Earth's orbit can vary slightly in duration each year. This is known as orbital perturbation.

4. How does the period of Earth's orbit affect the seasons?

The period of Earth's orbit does not directly affect the seasons. The tilt of Earth's axis is what causes the change in seasons. However, the length of Earth's orbit does play a role in the amount of sunlight received in different seasons.

5. Can the period of Earth's orbit change over time?

Yes, the period of Earth's orbit can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other celestial bodies and changes in Earth's axial tilt. These changes occur over long periods of time and are known as Milankovitch cycles.