1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The period of earth's orbit

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1
    Please help....
    Given that the distance to the sun from the earth is 1.5*10^11 m and the the mass of the sun is 1.9*10^30 kg.
    Using Keplers law find the period of the earth's orbit recorded in seconds; show how to express your anwser in years; and if your anwser does not agree with the accepted earth's orbital period of 365.25 days, explain the discrepancy.
    I am totally lost using Keplers law, I need your help ... Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should post this in the homework help section.

Look up Kepler's laws. There are 3 of them. One deals with this exact problem. Look up Newton's modified form of Kepler's law. Look up the values that they gave you in the problem and confirm if they're the correct values.

4. Nov 13, 2008 #3

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moving to HW

5. Nov 14, 2008 #4
    Dear Sir, this is my first time in a forum, and I don't know how to retrieve the posted information. Can you please explain how do I get the anwser to my problem> Thanks!

6. Nov 14, 2008 #5

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You retrieve it by using your textbook. Look in the index for "Kepler's Laws", specifically his 3rd law. Or you can Google "Kepler's Laws" and "Newton's modified form of Kepler's Law".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?