The Perseids are coming The Perseids are coming

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary, Perseid meteor shower will peak tomorrow night. Maine is looking to be stuck in clouds all weekend and into early next week, with scattered showers and T-storms.
Jimmy Snyder
Strap on your helmets boys and girls, and keep the dinosaurs inside. The Perseid meteor shower will peak tomorrow night.

Physics news on Phys.org
Glad you reminded me!

Unfortunately, Maine is looking to be stuck in clouds all weekend and into early next week, with scattered showers and T-storms. I have a couple of decent DSLRs with nice lenses, and I have been under a Perseid Curse ever since gearing up.

I got up at 4:00 am but the sky was cloud covered. Same at 5:00. I'll try again tomorrow morning.

I didn't quite make it out of bed to see them :redface:, but my bf did, for 20 minutes or so. He said it was cool but not really spectacular.

lisab said:
I didn't quite make it out of bed to see them :redface:, but my bf did, for 20 minutes or so. He said it was cool but not really spectacular.

I took a look about 12:30 and didn't see much.

I saw a couple after about an hour of viewing- too much light pollution here though.

Observers with clear, dark skies can expect to see only about one per minute.

I saw 3 in a 10 minute period. Light polution here is pretty bad too. I can remember as a child in 1963 I stayed overnight at summer camp. We slept outside during a meteor shower. It was in a rural area, it was a very clear night, and we were lying down with our faces to the sky. We talked about episodes of Twilight Zone. There were several meteors per minute all through the night until I fell asleep.

I had a lot of light pollution and clouds were incoming fast, so I only managed to see a single one. Tried early in the morning too, but no luck.

Still, the single one was a fantastic sight to see :D

I stared up at the sky last night for about 30 minutes and only saw two. The most spectacular was something very bright slowly moving across the sky, not sure what it was.

Monique said:
I stared up at the sky last night for about 30 minutes and only saw two. The most spectacular was something very bright slowly moving across the sky, not sure what it was.

Maybe a satellite?

I was spoiled by the Leonid shower a decade ago. Went to a very dark site and saw one every few seconds.

lisab said:
Maybe a satellite?
I thought the same, but it was really bright: a lot brighter than any star in the sky (and I think satellites are quite dim objects?). I thought it could be an airplane flying at a relatively low altitude, but all the airplanes that I saw had blinking lights and this object was just a bright white spot moving from west to east.

Monique said:
I thought the same, but it was really bright: a lot brighter than any star in the sky (and I think satellites are quite dim objects?). I thought it could be an airplane flying at a relatively low altitude, but all the airplanes that I saw had blinking lights and this object was just a bright white spot moving from west to east.
ISS, maybe. It is quite large, with big solar arrays.

turbo said:
ISS, maybe. It is quite large, with big solar arrays.

I think you're right :biggrin: From the Beginner’s Guide to Seeing the International Space Station (ISS):
When the station passes over it will travel from a westerly direction, heading in an easterly direction. An average good pass can last about 5 minutes.

The ISS looks like an incredibly bright, fast-moving star and can be mistaken for an aircraft. However, the ISS has no flashing lights and it can be much brighter. It seemingly just glides across the sky. source
That definitely was a lot cooler than the Perseids, but with the light pollution that was also harder to miss than the shooting stars.

1. When are the Perseids coming this year?

The Perseids meteor shower occurs every year from mid-July to late August, with its peak usually falling around August 12th. However, the best viewing time can vary depending on the moon's phase and light pollution in your area.

2. What are the Perseids?

The Perseids are a meteor shower caused by the Earth passing through the debris trail of the comet Swift-Tuttle. These meteors are pieces of dust and rock that burn up in our atmosphere, creating the bright streaks of light we see in the night sky.

3. Where is the best place to see the Perseids?

The Perseids can be seen from anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere, but the best viewing conditions are in dark, rural areas with minimal light pollution. Find an open area with a clear view of the sky, away from city lights, for the best chance to see the meteor shower.

4. How can I photograph the Perseids?

To capture the Perseids in a photograph, you will need a camera with manual settings, a tripod, and a remote shutter release. Set your camera to a long exposure (around 30 seconds), and aim at the sky where the meteors are likely to streak through. Be patient and take multiple shots to increase your chances of capturing a meteor.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when viewing the Perseids?

While viewing the Perseids, it is important to protect your eyes. You can do this by using a red light to preserve your night vision and avoiding looking directly at any bright lights. Also, dress warmly and bring a blanket or chair to sit on, as meteor watching can take several hours. Finally, be mindful of your surroundings and be aware of any potential hazards in the dark.