Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Featured Stargazing The Perseids are coming!

1. Aug 2, 2016 #1

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The Perseid meteor shower will be at it's peak next Friday (August 12)! They'll be seen best in the Northern Hemisphere and mid-southern latitudes around 1:00 am.

I've got two things to do before the 12th:
    1) Convince the rest of my folks that this is more exciting that sleeping and
    2) Convince them that driving a couple hours to see the meteor shower is worth it.

Anybody going to go out and see them? :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Don't forget to check the viewing quality of your site and the weather.

The best would probably be a state or federal park where light pollution is at a minimum.

In Texas, some folks will go to the McDonald Observatory (https://mcdonaldobservatory.org/) which has some events planned.

One astronomer suggests getting away from city lights because apparently the moon will be bright and the combination will obscure the viewing of all but the brightest meteors.

https://mcdonaldobservatory.org/perseid-meteors

4. Aug 2, 2016 #3

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Fortunately, for my area, the weather forecast says it will be clear :approve:. Light pollution here is pretty bad, so venturing out to a national park around here would be necessary, but that just makes it even better.

5. Aug 2, 2016 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Just tell your parents not to feed the lions, or tigers or bears okay?

6. Aug 2, 2016 #5

1oldman2

Gold Member

I'll be there for sure, the natives here are very in tune with this stuff and host viewing parties.

7. Aug 2, 2016 #6

1oldman2

Gold Member

Oh my... :smile:

8. Aug 2, 2016 #7

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Lucky guy, you live in Montana! If it's the same Montana I know, you're going to get a good view :)

9. Aug 2, 2016 #8

1oldman2

Gold Member

Flathead lake ain't to bad of a place to hang out, the viewing will be "top notch" as long as the weather stays good. :thumbup:

10. Aug 2, 2016 #9

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

A group of organizations are hosting a party here at a state park about 25 miles from the city center.
    I've never been to one, but this looks like it might be a good year for it.

OMSI Perseid Meteor Shower Watch Star Party
    Friday, August 12, 2016
    9:00pm - 11:59pm​

The weather forecast, so far, looks favorable.

11. Aug 2, 2016 #10

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

..... till dawn

will be out again this year all going well ... saw good numbers / hour last year ( ~25 / hr) from just outside the northern suburbs of Sydney, Oz
    Perseus will be just on the NNE horizon for me, but many of the meteors will still streak across the sky originating from that direction

Dave

12. Aug 3, 2016 #11

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Commiserations, my friend.
    That takes me back to the time when we were holidaying in France during the last Total Eclipse, visible in the UK and Europe. We needed to drive North for a couple of hours to get to Paris in order to see it. The family just would not get a move on and we actually MISSED the totality because of that. I was in a foul mood for the rest of the holiday and the idiots couldn't even understand why. Families - who'd have 'em?

13. Aug 4, 2016 #12

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  14. Aug 4, 2016 #13

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

15. Aug 9, 2016 #14
    Flathead is a great spot, but parking isn't the best.
    There's about 20 miles down the west side of the lake with only a two-lane road dissecting a hillside and Flathead lake.
    Maybe a boat?

16. Aug 9, 2016 #15

1oldman2

Gold Member

17. Aug 9, 2016 #16

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seeing is not too good here at the moment but I have seen a 'shower' of two in about twenty minutes, here in Essex UK. The other night I saw a fantastic one that was slow and seemed to last for at least a second. I guess I am only seeing the tip of the iceberg (to stretch an analogy) because of the haze.

18. Aug 9, 2016 #17

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

am hoping early am Friday will be clear, want to sleep for the evening then get up and travel to site arriving around 1 am
    ( IF weather is clear... forecast looks OK)

will have 2 cameras pointing in opposite directions one for nthrn and one for sthrn halves of the sky
    and maybe this year will capture more than last year

Dave

19. Aug 9, 2016 #18

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good luck with that matey.

20. Aug 9, 2016 #19

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

the weather has been crap over the last 2 weeks and this is the synoptic map for my location
    for Friday

loc.JPG

there's no point being on location well before 1 am as the moon doesn't set till about 1 am

Dave

21. Aug 10, 2016 #20

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Same here. The mornings have been cloudy, but then it clears up at around noon up into evening. Earth is teasing. I never trusted weather forecasts, anyways.
    If you get anything nice, post some pics if it's not too much trouble, okay? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted