A Peaceful Escape: Finding the Ideal PF Island

• Thread starter AnTiFreeze3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Escape
In summary: Out of curiosity, why do you perform a location so far north instead of something warmer?Seasons. I grew up without seasons and it was boring. I love forests. It definitely appeals to... something in me.
AnTiFreeze3
Society blows.

I'm sure that most people have contemplated getting away from it all and just living a peaceful life in solitude. However, humans are social creatures, and there are benefits to having other people around.

As a solution, I propose that there be a society of like-minded people, living together, away from from the prevailing idiocy that we call modern culture.

Here's a start that I'm quite partial to (I enjoy snow): http://www.privateislandsonline.com/islands/ram-island#

Using that same website, what would be your ideal PF Island? Remember that, theoretically, the cost of the island would be shared amongst the members of PF, so go crazy!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a widely known fact that PF staff already have an island in Bora Bora. We go to it for our annual conference. :)

Additional details of your plans for the PF Island are welcome.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Additional details of your plans for the PF Island are welcome.

http://two57.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Bora-Bora-Island.jpg

It gets quite cozy at night with 20 people sleeping on there.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:

Wow, you have trees!

Last edited by a moderator:
I find this interesting considering you are on vacation right now lol - thanks for ditching me in college and having fun.

Great Hans LollikFor a mere $29.5 million we could get 510 acres of undeveloped paradise to have our way with in the US Virgin Islands. A couple of pics:

http://ebillionairesclub.com/sites/default/files/file835c6f6db184404b887199076b86f271.jpg

http://www.privateislandsonline.com/content/listings/914/cimage_e3a1633e1e-thumbb.jpg

WannabeNewton said:
I find this interesting considering you are on vacation right now lol - thanks for ditching me in college and having fun.

What's that? I can't hear you over the roaring tides as I'm viewing a sunset at the beach.

I also can't hear you after a 2 hour drive to a mountain range where I'm snowboarding and climbing things and finding this weird cave on a mountain where I'm pretty sure a homeless guy lives and oh god there's a beer bottle here and some used cigarettes IM NOT ALONE

AnTiFreeze3 said:
I'm sure that most people have contemplated getting away from it all and just living a peaceful life in solitude. However, humans are social creatures, and there are benefits to having other people around.

As a solution, I propose that there be a society of like-minded people, living together, away from from the prevailing idiocy that we call modern culture.

Here's a start that I'm quite partial to (I enjoy snow): http://www.privateislandsonline.com/islands/ram-island#

Using that same website, what would be your ideal PF Island? Remember that, theoretically, the cost of the island would be shared amongst the members of PF, so go crazy!

How about a place with snow-covered mountains and beaches within an hour or two from the other?
1.1263184005.kaikoura-on-a-nice-day.jpg

Greg Bernhardt said:

Not very practical if members want to take a pee :tongue:

The wall isn't high enough ...

... I think Astronuc wins.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
... I think Astronuc wins.
Just how much would the New Zealanders charge for selling their no.1 tourist attraction? :smile:

wolram said:
Not very practical if members want to take a pee :tongue:

:smile:

Nice to see you, Woolie!

Pee? Please step to the edge of the island. And be glad you're male :grumpy:.

Astronuc said:
How about a place with snow-covered mountains and beaches within an hour or two from the other?
Heck, I live there. Newport on the coast is 70mi west, Bend and skiing is 80mi east.

Last edited:
Integral said:
Heck, I live there. Newport on the coast is 70mi west, Bend and skiing is 80mi east.

Assuming you are King of New Zealand... how much gold will it take for the island to be mine? You can keep some meaningless title, and I'll give you a few acres here and there.

Monique said:
Just how much would the New Zealanders charge for selling their no.1 tourist attraction? :smile:

Hopefully less than the combined salaries of all PFers :approve:

Last edited:
This Island is actually for sale and only $309,536.

$309,536

Private Islands Online
Hästholmen, Sweden

Private Islands Online says Hästholmen has two cottages, a sauna by the waterside, a boathouse and several sundecks. The island is said to offer "seclusion in the unique setting of the Swedish wilderness, with access to wide forest areas, fishing and much more nearby."

ht_hastholmen_sweden_jp_121211_wb.jpg

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/top-10-private-islands-sale-350000/story?id=17932025#2

Out of curiosity, why do you perform a location so far north instead of something warmer?

aquitaine said:
Out of curiosity, why do you perform a location so far north instead of something warmer?
Seasons. I grew up without seasons and it was boring. I love forests. It definitely appeals to me.

Evo said:
Seasons. I grew up without seasons and it was boring. I love forests. It definitely appeals to me.

This same reason is why my original island is off the coast of Maine. I love the changing seasons, and snow has an intrinsic beauty which you can't find in tropical areas. Why live in a location incapable of giving you H2O in two out of its three forms?

AnTiFreeze3 said:
This same reason is why my original island is off the coast of Maine. I love the changing seasons, and snow has an intrinsic beauty which you can't find in tropical areas. Why live in a location incapable of giving you H2O in two out of its three forms?

Don't you mean one out of its three forms? H20 evaporates into a gaseous form in the tropics and then accumulates as clouds, only to rain down on the tourists as "liquid sunshine.":redface:

AnTiFreeze3 said:
(I enjoy snow)
I love snow, but it depends on what my feet are in.

DiracPool said:
"liquid sunshine."
I have ran on this before. Wooo ohhh.

Variety is the spice of H2O phases. Please have avalanche skis/boards, tsunami wake skates/flippers available. Cups would be great for drinking also.

Variety is the spice of H2O phases.

Would it be anthropic or anthropocentric to say "how Vierd" (think German accent here) it is that Earth is the only celestial body we know of that possesses water in all three phases?

DiracPool said:
Don't you mean one out of its three forms? H20 evaporates into a gaseous form in the tropics and then accumulates as clouds, only to rain down on the tourists as "liquid sunshine.":redface:

Lol yeah, for whatever reason I was thinking that the three phases were ice, snow (!), and water. Let's just forget this happened :smile:

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Lol yeah, for whatever reason I was thinking that the three phases were ice, snow (!), and water. Let's just forget this happened :smile:

Or let's make fun of you for ever...

micromass said:
Or let's make fun of you for ever...

I'll never live this down, will I.

AnTiFreeze3 said:

Just be glad you're not an Eskimo, I think they have 97 different words for frozen water!

1. What is the concept behind "A Peaceful Escape: Finding the Ideal PF Island"?

"A Peaceful Escape: Finding the Ideal PF Island" is a scientific study that explores the idea of creating a perfect island for personal and societal well-being. It aims to identify the key factors and elements that contribute to a peaceful and ideal island, and how it can be achieved.

2. How is the ideal PF island different from other islands?

The ideal PF island is different from other islands in that it focuses on promoting peace and well-being for both individuals and society as a whole. This means that the island will have a balance of natural resources, sustainable practices, and a harmonious community that promotes mental and physical health.

3. What are the key elements that contribute to a peaceful island?

The key elements that contribute to a peaceful island include a healthy and diverse ecosystem, sustainable infrastructure, a strong sense of community, access to basic needs such as food and water, and a peaceful and inclusive culture that promotes equality and respect.

4. How can the results of this study be applied in real-life scenarios?

The results of this study can be applied in real-life scenarios by providing guidelines and recommendations for creating and maintaining a peaceful and ideal island. These can be used by policymakers, urban planners, and communities to improve the well-being and quality of life on existing islands or in the development of new ones.

5. What are the potential benefits of having an ideal PF island?

The potential benefits of having an ideal PF island include a higher quality of life for its inhabitants, a sustainable and self-sufficient community, increased tourism and economic opportunities, and a model for other islands and communities to follow in promoting peace and well-being.