Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The PF Treasure Hunt

1. Oct 10, 2004 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is the game I've been promising at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=45456

It involves solving a sequence of cryptic clues, one leading to the other. The game is completed when the final clue is successfully solved.

Rules & Guidelines : Please read carefully, and follow strictly. Violating the rules can spoil the game for others.

(i)Clues : Each clue tells you how to get to the next clue. All clues are to be found within PF, unless specifically stated otherwise. Solving the clues may involve cracking a simple cipher/code (nothing that involves heavy computational capability) or word-play, solving a math puzzle/riddle, or simply following instructions intelligently. Some clues involve keys; these are important.

(ii)Participants : All are welcome to participate. There will be no division into teams. All participants belong in one team. The aim is for you all to collectively reach and solve the final clue, through symbiotic individual efforts. Communication between participants is done by posting your ideas in this thread, as described below.

(iii)Posting : If you have solved a clue, or have a partial solution, or even an idea that you believe will be helpful, post this immediately, in WHITE (use [ color=White] ... [ /color] tags, without spaces). If you want to ask me a question or make a clarification, post this normally. Anyone that solves a given clue may not solve the immediate next clue until 24 hrs have passed since posting the solution of the first clue. I will insert subsequent clues as and when I see you getting close...so don't try to go all the way. The way doesn't exist yet.

Note : All misspellings or incorrect grammar are intentional. Having a familiarity with the forums/sub-forums/sections/threads in PF could be useful. Look sharp : I like white.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Select to see : (click here and drag towards bottom of post)

It is essential that you read and understand the rules above, before jumping in. So I request that you please make sure you are clear with all of them. If you have any questions or doubts, please ask me.

The first clue will be up in a little while. First, I'd like to make sure I haven't made any big screw-ups or left out anything important.

4. Oct 10, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's your first clue :

A word that you're looking for refers to the loci :
    "Such points that never may be found in between."
    Know that it refers to your fingers and your toes, but a
    message it conveys is vital to crossing this step.
    Ere it's mixet, when mixed, will tell you its form.

Discover the keyword that the above passage describes, and use that keyword to decipher the hidden message in the passage. And keep the keyword with you; you'll have to use it to get the next clue.

5. Oct 10, 2004 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A partial guess and some thoughts on the puzzle in white:

The fingers and toes line makes me think the word might be digit. However, the rest of the clue reads like we're supposed to find an anagram of the word for the full solution, and I can't figure out any.

6. Oct 10, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moonbear, you are very, very close on both counts ! Good going...keep thinking along those lines. :approve:

Keep in mind that if something sounds weird, it is written that way for a particular reason.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  7. Oct 11, 2004 #6

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

""Timex" the watch? Or is the whole phrase an anagram?

8. Oct 11, 2004 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You decide...if you've got it, you'll know you've got it.

P.S : Don't you know that Andy's a good anagram solver ?

9. Oct 11, 2004 #8
    ::
    infinity
    its never found in between
    it is always at the "extremities" of the number line

10. Oct 11, 2004 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tenali :bugeye: !!! You actually got the keyword, but guessed something else instead !!

If you now know which it is, please give a more complete explanation. :approve:

11. Oct 11, 2004 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Can it be extrema??
    Edit:
    extreme/extremal points are possibly better..

12. Oct 11, 2004 #11
    My guess was "lemniscate of bernoulli"
    the word loci combined with the shape of infinity gives it

-- AI

13. Oct 11, 2004 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tenali, you're going too deep. Stop.

arildno, you are close...but the exact keyword has already been found, though not acknowledged as the keyword.

I repeat : Tenali actually found the correct keyword in his previous guess and it's not "infinity" !!!

14. Oct 11, 2004 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Ere it's mixet juggled about a bit yields extremities..

15. Oct 11, 2004 #14
    LOL! dont tell me
    extremities ??

:tongue2:
    -- AI

16. Oct 11, 2004 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, now use the keyword to decipher the message hidden in the passage.

You walked right over it, Tenali ! :biggrin:

17. Oct 11, 2004 #16

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Me map a sink!

Ok, needs a bit of work, but this is an anagram of the "extremities" of each line...

18. Oct 11, 2004 #17

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Spank me, ami?? Last word french for (male) friend

19. Oct 11, 2004 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, all. The keyword has been cracked. It is ...
    EXTREMITIES

Here's the reasoning :

**A word that you're looking for refers to the loci :
    "Such points that never may be found in between." **

This is a direct clue. Extremities are points that are not found in between. They are peripheral points.

**Know that it refers to your fingers and your toes, **

Finger and toes are called extremities. Google "dictionary extremities", and pick the first hit.

**but a
    message it conveys is vital to crossing this step.**

This suggests that the keyword will help you find the next clue, if you figure out how to use it.

**Ere it's mixet, when mixed, will tell you its form.**

When jumbled (mixed) the letters of "ere it's mixet" gives you 'extremities'. I did not italicize that phrase for no reason.

Now I repeat the last part of the clue :

Discover the keyword that the above passage describes, and use that keyword to decipher the hidden message in the passage. And keep the keyword with you; you'll have to use it to get the next clue.

20. Oct 11, 2004 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hurkyl and arildno : You are on the exact right track...but perhaps you are driving the anagram car farther than you ought to...

As you've both realized, your guesses do not tell you how to find the next clue. When you get it right, you'll know it's right.

Too much said already. I've gotta run...

21. Oct 11, 2004 #20

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

make s in a pm????

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?