Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The phantom planets

1. Oct 16, 2003 #1
    Hi guys,

Just a question if any one has any insight to offer in theh notion that the planets of our solar system are some how counter balanced by "Phantom" plane on their opposite side of the sun?

I heard some where of this? but it was along time ago

If you have what are your thoughts on the ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uh, what?

- Warren

4. Oct 16, 2003 #3

LURCH

Science Advisor

I have also heard this idea, but I do not think it should be given much credence. For example, if the planet Venus had a counterpart on the opposite side of the sun (we can call this other planet Aphrodite) then, when Venus was on the far side of the sun from earth, Aphrodite would be near earth. Likewise for the planet Aries (on the opposite side from Mars). We would have seen them by now.

5. Oct 16, 2003 #4

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: the phantom planets

Exactly, we are quite often on the other side of the sun from other planets and we don't see any phantoms.

Not only that, but they would have changed the orbital mechanics of the solar system. And small disturbances (gravitational, impacts)over millions/billions of years would breakup the counterbalancing...orbital velocities would change and one partner would catch up to the other.

6. Oct 16, 2003 #5

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The orbits of such objects is not stable in a simple three-body system (Sun, planet, phantom planet); so very unlikely to be stable in the real solar system.

The Lagrangian points L4 and L5 are stable in a three-body system; they are 60o ahead of and behind the planet, in the same orbit.

The Trojan asteroids are in orbits around the Jovian stable Lagrangian points, and IIRC a small 'Neptunian Trojan' was recently found. There are also at least three satellites ('moons') of Saturn near Lagrangian points.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2003
  7. Oct 16, 2003 #6
    hmmm...interesting replies.

The reason I was thinking about this question was that we have so called phantom particles I think some are called "leptids??" and "quarks" as i am totally ignorant of these i just thought i would innocently pose the question that if we have phantom particles we can have a phantom planet.

How the mechanics works is not available at present I assume but then again neither are the phantom particles...if you know what I mean.

A discussion in the theory development room about negative mass lead me to here. if you have a negative mass but invert its centre of attraction so that it is present in the planets dimension then you have a dimensional paradox where the mass is massless and the centre of attraction isn't a centre of attraction...sort of like a reflection in a mirror. The image in the mirror has an impact but at the same time it has no discernable value....( mass)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2003
  8. Oct 17, 2003 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

These concepts have no relationship to each other whatsoever. Similarly, they are also not related to The Phantom of the Opera.

9. Oct 18, 2003 #8

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The subatomic world is a very difference place from what we're familiar with in our everyday experience...the rules are different down there. Not that orbital mechanics are part of our everyday experience, mind you. :wink:

10. Nov 8, 2003 #9
    The Sun emmits gravitational forces in every direction to every planet in our solar system and some outside of it but according to that conclusion i would think there is no need for a "Phantom" plane on the opposite side of the sun. There really is no opposite side of the sun because the sun is spherical.

11. Nov 8, 2003 #10

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The supposed phantom planet would move around the sun in the same orbit that the earth does, but 180o away from it. So it would always be "behind the sun" as seen from earth.

But this orbital pattern is proven to be unstable. It could never exist for any long period of time.

12. Nov 10, 2003 #11

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And that's just the Earth. We would see the phantoms of the other planets if they existed. (e.g., we could see Venus1 and Venus2 at the same time as they orbited the sun faster than the Earth)

13. Aug 3, 2011 #12
    ok, but what if it takes more time for the phantom planets to hold a gravitational force so its further out and just havent come together yet? is it possible? like planets slowly coming together, like a reunion. what would happen then?

14. Aug 3, 2011 #13
    and for that matter, planets orbit around the sun. some are futher in the solar system and are rotating also, no matter how slow or fast its going we would be able to see that, especially if its that far out and is orbiting. does that make sense?

15. Aug 3, 2011 #14
    and have the scientist known or see if the planets are moving farther away from the sun or are they moving closer. either way it would be dangerous

16. Aug 3, 2011 #15

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Britnee27 welcome to PF, if you look at the dates above people's names you will see that this post is over 8 years old! Most of those members are long gone. If you want to ask a question I suggest starting a new thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?