The Physicist & Philosopher: Einstein vs. Bergson Debate

• I
  • Thread starter bhobba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, Bill is listening to an interesting audiobook called "The Physicist and The Philosopher" which is a debate between Henri Bergson and Einstein on relativity. The book suggests that this debate was a turning point in the rise of science as the dominant paradigm. Bergson was extremely famous at the time, but Einstein's fame was on the rise. The book also contains some common misconceptions such as time stopping at the speed of light. Bill shares a video about the book and discusses how Bergson did not understand Einstein's notion of time. They also discuss the concept of a photon's point of view and how it is a mistake to assume that photons have a point of view. Bill also mentions the interesting debate between Turing
Hi All

Got an interesting audiobook I am listening to right now - The Physicist and The Philosopher - a debate between Henri Bergson and Einstein - on relativity. It is conceded Einstein won. But the thing I find strange is Einstein did not bring out the best argument of all - it's basis on symmetry, but rather on simultaneity. Is this view only of recent origin and not known at that time? The book suggests it was a turning point in the rise of science as the dominant paradigm. Bergson was evidently extremely famous at the time, Einstein's fame on the rise. Later Bergson became less known and Einsteins fame soared.

Anyway so far an interesting listen, although it does contain some common misconceptions such as time stops at the speed of light.

Here is a video about it:

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes George Keeling
Physics news on Phys.org
That's indeed an interesting book. It shows why there was no Nobel prize for Einstein for his general relativty, namely because of Bergson's completely philosophical objections against Einstein's notion of time, which Bergson obviously didn't understand.

Likes PeroK, bhobba and weirdoguy
vanhees71 said:
which Bergson obviously didn't understand.

True, but somewhat surprising. Bergson was actually a good mathematician, having won prizes in his younger days for his mathematical work. He should have understood it, but something in his choice to pursue philosophy rather than mathematics (which evidently dismayed his math teachers) prevented him.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Hi All

Got an interesting audiobook I am listening to right now - The Physicist and The Philosopher - a debate between Henri Bergson and Einstein - on relativity. It is conceded Einstein won. But the thing I find strange is Einstein did not bring out the best argument of all - it's basis on symmetry, but rather on simultaneity. Is this view only of recent origin and not known at that time? The book suggests it was a turning point in the rise of science as the dominant paradigm. Bergson was evidently extremely famous at the time, Einstein's fame on the rise. Later Bergson became less known and Einsteins fame soared.

Anyway so far an interesting listen, although it does contain some common misconceptions such as time stops at the speed of light.

Here is a video about it:

Thanks
Bill

I always ponder on the fact that from a photon’s point of view it is already at its destination when it is emitted and hence never existed! I have no idea what that means if anything.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK and weirdoguy
Well, it's not even a correct description of a photon. So it means nothing.

Likes robphy and bhobba
How do you describe a photon?

supernova1054 said:
from a photon’s point of view

There is no such thing, since photons do not have rest frames.

Likes bhobba
supernova1054 said:
I always ponder on the fact that from a photon’s point of view it is already at its destination when it is emitted and hence never existed! I have no idea what that means if anything.

The mistake here is assuming the photon has a point of view. It travels at the speed of light - that's all you can say. The Lorentz Transformation's apply to inertial frames which can't travel at the speed of light because in any inertial frame light moves at the speed of light. As Wittgenstein said - Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent. Interestingly Wittgenstein was a student of Bertrand Russell, who thought Bergson, while acknowledging his literary skills, saw his arguments, at best, just persuasive/emotive speculation, but not at all an example of sound reasoning. Wittgenstein of course went his own way after Russell, but here we do not discuss philosophy - all I will say is the debate between Turing and Wittgenstein on the foundations of Mathematics was quite interesting.

Thanks
Bill

Likes dextercioby
Interesting. It may be (just a guess) that symmetries arguments became more popular after Noether, which at the time of the debate was relatively recent.

Another thing that i find interesting is that often when it comes to Philosophy vs Physics, the people on the side of physics, which often are against philosphy, are better at Philosophy than the Philosophers.

Likes vanhees71, weirdoguy and bhobba
martinbn said:
Another thing that i find interesting is that often when it comes to Philosophy vs Physics, the people on the side of physics, which often are against philosphy, are better at Philosophy than the Philosophers.

I have noticed that as well. To be fair there are some philosophers with views I find OK. I will however not name them as it likely will spark way off topic comments.

Thanks
Bill

Likes vanhees71
bhobba said:
The mistake here is assuming the photon has a point of view. It travels at the speed of light - that's all you can say. The Lorentz Transformation's apply to inertial frames which can't travel at the speed of light because in any inertial frame light moves at the speed of light. As Wittgenstein said - Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent. Interestingly Wittgenstein was a student of Bertrand Russell, who thought Bergson, while acknowledging his literary skills, saw his arguments, at best, just persuasive/emotive speculation, but not at all an example of sound reasoning. Wittgenstein of course went his own way after Russell, but here we do not discuss philosophy - all I will say is the debate between Turing and Wittgenstein on the foundations of Mathematics was quite interesting.

Thanks
Bill
Thanks for your reply. Interesting. Of course I was being facetious about photons point of view. I’m still learning how to use this forum which is quite interesting.

Likes bhobba
supernova1054 said:
Thanks for your reply. Interesting. Of course I was being facetious about photons point of view. I’m still learning how to use this forum which is quite interesting.

No problemo. Stick around - you will learn a lot. We always welcome new members.

Thanks
Bill

I am about halfway through the book now. Very interesting and defiantly on topic for this forum as far as the history of relativity goes. But personally I find the philosophy vacuous - but anyone interested can read it and make up their own mind on that aspect. Still its very interesting philosophers reaction to relativity, which IMHO mostly ignored its basis in symmetry - but they still tried. The way they did refute it is to doubt the POR, time is different to measured time and similar things. As I said make up your own mind - certainly a book worth a read though.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Well, history of science sets the records straight. Who cares or even knows about Bergson today? Compare this to the fact that Einstein is well known even to nearly anybody in the broader public, and physics students all over the world learn about his theories at high school. I guess, if Bergson wouldn't have played this role in this debate about the philosophical meaning of relativity, he'd been forgotten at all.

Likes bhobba
With regard to the Einstein-Bergson debate, Bergson was truly out of his league. From the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy:
... Bergson published his reflections on Einstein as Duration and Simultaneity (see Mélanges, 1972). There is some controversy surrounding this book. Bergson allowed the book to be reprinted up to the sixth edition in 1931. However Édouard Le Roy claims in a letter from 1953 (well after Bergson’s death) that he often spoke with Bergson about relativity. Le Roy says, “[Bergson] added with insistence that the defective state of his knowledge of mathematics did not allow him to follow the development of generalized relativity in the detail such a development required. Consequently [Bergson] thought it wiser to let the question drop. This is why he refused to let Duration and Simultaneity be reprinted”

Likes vanhees71 and bhobba
Fred Wright said:
This is why he refused to let Duration and Simultaneity be reprinted”
But under archive.org it is still available. Interestingly, the introduction was written by Herbert Dingle, who became later a critic of SR.

1. What was the Einstein vs. Bergson debate about?

The debate between Albert Einstein and Henri Bergson was about the concept of time and its nature. Einstein argued for the theory of relativity, which states that time is relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. Bergson, on the other hand, believed in the concept of absolute time, where time is a continuous flow and cannot be divided into separate moments.

2. When did the debate take place?

The debate between Einstein and Bergson took place on April 6, 1922, at the Société Française de Philosophie in Paris, France.

3. Who won the debate?

It is difficult to say who won the debate as both Einstein and Bergson presented compelling arguments. However, Einstein's theory of relativity has been supported by numerous experiments and is widely accepted in the scientific community, while Bergson's concept of absolute time has not been as widely embraced.

4. How did the debate impact the scientific community?

The debate sparked a lot of interest and discussion within the scientific community, particularly among physicists and philosophers. It raised important questions about the nature of time and how it is perceived and understood. It also highlighted the different approaches and perspectives in science and philosophy.

5. What is the significance of the debate today?

The Einstein vs. Bergson debate is still relevant today as it continues to inspire discussions and debates about the nature of time and its relationship to space and the universe. It also serves as a reminder of the importance of considering multiple perspectives and approaches in understanding complex scientific concepts.