Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The philosophy of Hate

1. Jan 29, 2004 #1
    What is hate?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2004 #2
    Hate is the feeling that arises in my brain when I spend the precious 20 seconds of my life reading anal brain farts expelled by ignorant minds...

Never mind- You, whoever you are- I hate you.
  4. Jan 29, 2004 #3
    That's a good example.
  5. Jan 29, 2004 #4
    Hate is a flawed emotion. It causes people to wish uneccesary harm. It is especially absurd given that there is no such thing as free will.
  6. Jan 30, 2004 #5
    Must not forget that hate is human. It is an emotion and must not be suppressed as with other feelings. The opposite of love. Like yin yang. There is a balance in this that is a part of our function and we need both the negative and the positive to have some kind of moral, values and opinions at all.
  7. Jan 30, 2004 #6
    Assuming hate is of some beneficial use and is an emotion or a basic driving neurological function common to everyone, what purpose does hate serve? What is hate called when used to do good?
    Of the things that get you boiling, what do they have in common?
    What is the most common response of someone recieving hate from another? What is the least common response?

I hold this to be true, that when people truly understand each other they can't harm each other.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2004
  8. Jan 30, 2004 #7
    This is not true. Education does not eliminate evil. There are plenty of smart, educated criminals in high corporate positions. Man has an innate sense of basic right and wrong, but he suppresses it for his own selfish gain.
  9. Jan 31, 2004 #8
    I say yin-yang, schming-shang. We must strive to understand how irrational and dangerous hate really is. Now, I'm not saying to suppress your emotions to the point that you explode, but we must learn to reduce hate as much as we can.
  10. Jan 31, 2004 #9
    the best definition i ever heard was that it was the other side of the coin. it is love gone awry.

if someone does what you wanted you love them. if they disappoint you or fail to do as you wanted, it stimulates hate. you could not hate if you didn't want to love.

if a person, community, society does something that has no meaing, you feel neither. love and hate are two sides of the same emotion.

11. Jan 31, 2004 #10
    Hate is a human emotion and is totally irrational, as with many human emotions. It tends to blind people from rational thought and prevents us from thinking clearly.
  12. Feb 1, 2004 #11
    Yes. We can reduce hate, and lvove for that matter, if it is no good, by using our sense. So I think.
  13. Feb 2, 2004 #12
    I think hate is bad.
  14. Feb 2, 2004 #13
    'Hate', like all other 'negative' emotions, is a side-effect of the failure to understand something.

It requires energy to visualize the cause-effect process as well as similar relations between things. Failing to accomplish this, this energy instead is converted into what is commonly referred to as 'negative emotions'.
  15. Feb 2, 2004 #14
    That depends on what you hate. If your hate is a fight towards something evil, then the hate should not be made into anything else than hate. Loving and understanding the value in everything is impossible, and to do this you must have multiple personalities and not make any stands against something. Antagonism is a part of us, we fight for something we love and whatever fights against this, we deject and oppose against with hate. Not always of course.

Hate is absolutely not a consequence of ignorance as you imply here.
    "The side-effect of the failure to understand something". We may understand Hitler's ferocious attitude towards Jews and his hate for everyone of a non-Aryan origin, but this understanding we have does not mean that we will not hate him for it. (At least those who do not agree with his views)
  16. Feb 2, 2004 #15
    Hate of hitler is also irrational, although it can lead to overall positive effects. I do not hate hitler, although I have great negative feelings for what he did. What I mean by this is that although I despise what he did, I would not wish harm on him for harm's sake. Of course, punishment may have positive effects as a deterrent, but a choice to punish based on that would be a rational one, not one based on hate.

Negative feelings can be good motivators, although those negative feelings do not have to be hate for another.
  17. Feb 3, 2004 #16
    The thing is that no one 'hates' something. 'Hate' is just the name given to a particular feeling, a feeling which is merely a symptom of another process, namely that of trying to fit that which one sees in one's sense of 'order'.

Emotions are merely symptoms. They've no relevance in themselves.

One 'fights' to make everything appear consistent with one's sense of 'order'.

"Evil" is just a term given to anything which contradicts one's sense of order in a particular, usually destructive manner.

Never once did I mention "ignorance". I used the term "failure to understand something", referring to the inability of one to 'fit' something in one's perception of one's surroundings.
    Once one moves on to a more realistic sense of 'order', one founded on a more solid scientific basis, things like the example you gave are easy to explain.

What one sees every day is the interaction between the different perceptions of 'order' individuals have. Every single one of them considers their perception to be as much a part of themselves as their arm or leg. Their personality originates from this perception as well.

Of course, there's no such thing as a unique personality, and there's only one real perception of everything.

People can not live without a sense of order, and a goal to strive for. Asking them to reconsider their convictions or change it for something which is obviously better is therefore a foolish undertaking without employing suitable methods.
  18. Feb 3, 2004 #17

Science Advisor

The primitive, beneficial purpose of hate was survivalist - not survival of the self so much as survival of genes. In times of primitive, life and death struggle, establishment of an us-vs-them paradigm was more successful than a rational ordering of prorities. The irrational hatred of others might lead to a massacre, and sole possession of hunting/gathering grounds. This strategy was beneficial even before times of great need.

As we progressed, "us" became a much bigger group. It also became more difficult to distinguish "us" from "them". In the USA, when we go to war, it is inevitable that many of "us" will look like "them". This makes hatred a very poor option now evolutionarily speaking.

On a personal level, hatred does stem from somewhat the same source. We perceive others as alien. If the different nature of another is threatening in some aspect, we will probably tend to feel hatred. I'm not saying that we hate everything that is different, but that we are more likely to hate things that are perceived as strange and threatening. Those who are very insecure may see any difference as a threat to their lifestyle, as a judgement that they are wrong.

19. Feb 3, 2004 #18
    Nonetheless, hate might not be necessary and it is not rational, but it is a human feeling. Opposing hate is hate towards hate. We are humans and as humans we must accept our emotions and not try to solve them out with scientifical explanations and philosophies.

Instead we should try to find out the origin of hate in a given situation and search for the causes and consequences.

It sounds like some of you want hate to be gone, but no it cannot be gone. It sounds like some of you are not willing to accept the indeniable existence of hate. Hate is in our nature.

It is correct Elledan that feelings have no relevance in them, but that is not supposed to be an implication of us needing to remove hate from our minds? You hate something or someone I know. So do I. Emotions are necessary for us to be able to interact and care for eachother. This is at least not irrational.

(I hope this did not digress too much)
  20. Feb 3, 2004 #19
    Hate and anger can be distinct, can they not?
  21. Feb 3, 2004 #20

Staff: Mentor

I think hate is an emotion that stems from a feeling of inadequacy against a particular situation that goes against what you want or need.

You may disagree with someone's opinion, or a statistic, or a policy, but "hate" is a much deeper "emotion". It doesn't have to be rational.

I'm not talking about flipant comments like "I hate my hair" or "I hate this outfit", but true "hatred".

If you stop and think about something that evokes a sense of "hatred", why is that? Hatred is a "passion". It involves the supplanting of something that is near and dear to you, right? Can you feel real hatred for something that you do not care deeply about, either real or imaginary?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?