1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Photoelectric Effect

1. Nov 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In an xray tube, a potential diff. of 70000v is applied across two electrodes. Electrons are emmited from cathode and acc. to anode, where x-rays are produced.
    my question is if the photoelectric effect problems apply and how they apply.
    (i.e use work function or E=hf)

questions on paper
    a)find max frequency
    b)find max momentum

2. Relevant equations
    h=hf
    Kmax = hf-Wo

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

In an X-ray device, electrons are accelerated via a potential difference (here 70 kV) and those electrons will ionize atoms in the target electrode. X-rays arise from atomic electrons 'refilling' the K-level and in some cases L-level shells.

One needs to look at the binding energy of K electrons to determine the energy of X-rays for those particular elements.

Those X-rays can certainly interact by the photo-electric effect, and knock out another electron. One may wish to look into "Auger electrons", or the "Auger effect".

Another phenomenon is the brehmsstrahlung radiation.

4. Nov 26, 2007 #3
    Thanks

Thanks for your help, I get it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?