Why does the photoelectric effect only occur above a certain frequency of light?

In summary, the difference between photon theory and wave theory is that photon theory provides a better explanation for the photorrrctic effect.
ffrog

Homework Statement

When monochromatic light is incident on a metla plate,electrons are emmited only when the frequency of light exceeds a certain frequency.
Explain in terms of energy, why this threshold frequency exist and why photon theory of light provides a better explnation of the photorlrctric effect than a wave theory of light.

Homework Equations

none that i know of

The Attempt at a Solution

Its not really a solution but i have talked about energy levels and in atoms and things like that.

Physics news on Phys.org
ffrog said:

Homework Equations

none that i know of

The equation for the energy of a photon would definitely be relevant.

what E=hf or do you want the photoelectric equartion and how do either of them prove it
fh=workfunction+Ek(max)

Yes, those equations.

What can you say about Ek if hf is less than the work function?

so what you are suggesting is me saying look at the formula it gives you proof?
sorry but i am not sure that will fly

No, I'm not suggesting you say "look at the formula" as your answer. I'm suggesting that you should look at the formula and think about it before coming up with your answer. :smile:

Ek(max) = hf - workfunction​

What would hf < workfunction imply about Ek?

I get that it says a minimum frequency is required and there is a maximum enrgy required but you have failed to prove this bit which is my hardest

why this threshold frequency exist and why photon theory of light provides a better explnation of the photorlrctric effect than a wave theory of light.

Well if we use wave theory, then no matter the frequency, as long as the light supplies energy eventually, the electrons should gain enough energy to be emitted. But this doesn't occur in practice.

rock.freak667 said:
Well if we use wave theory, then no matter the frequency, as long as the light supplies energy eventually, the electrons should gain enough energy to be emitted. But this doesn't occur in practice.

oh my god thankyou i didnt know that and that's all i wanted to here that solves my whole problem.

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it absorbs electromagnetic radiation, such as light.

Who discovered the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887. However, it was not until 1905 that Albert Einstein provided a theoretical explanation for the phenomenon, earning him a Nobel Prize in Physics in 1921.

What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is significant because it provided evidence for the particle-like nature of light and helped to establish the foundation of quantum mechanics. It also has practical applications in technologies such as solar panels and photodiodes.

What factors affect the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is affected by the intensity and frequency of the incident light, as well as the properties of the material, such as its work function and electron configuration.

How does the photoelectric effect relate to the work function of a material?

The work function of a material is the minimum amount of energy needed to remove an electron from its surface. In the photoelectric effect, the energy of the incident light must be equal to or greater than the work function for electrons to be emitted from the material.