Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The photovoltaic effect

1. Aug 24, 2008 #1
    I am considering writing a formal essay on the photovoltaic effect, and I wanted to investigate
    the power or voltage output (I'm not sure which one yet) of a photovoltaic cell with respect to different color combination.
    Would anyone be kind enough to let me Know whether this will work, and how I can carry out the experiments.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2008 #2
    Considerable research has and is being conducted on optimizing the photo-voltaic effect.

My suggestion would be to Google your key terms. Be prepared for many hours of extraordinary readings; there is a lot of effort being done in this fascinating field of study.
  4. Aug 25, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

The wikipedia article is a good starting place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photovoltaic_cells

Lots of discussion and web pointers concerning efficiency...
  5. Aug 25, 2008 #4
    Thanks a lot guys.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I might do the respective combinations of the color of light when I project them onto the solar cell?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?