1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The photovoltaic effect

1. Aug 24, 2008 #1
    I am considering writing a formal essay on the photovoltaic effect, and I wanted to investigate
    the power or voltage output (I'm not sure which one yet) of a photovoltaic cell with respect to different color combination.
    Would anyone be kind enough to let me Know whether this will work, and how I can carry out the experiments.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2008 #2
    Considerable research has and is being conducted on optimizing the photo-voltaic effect.

My suggestion would be to Google your key terms. Be prepared for many hours of extraordinary readings; there is a lot of effort being done in this fascinating field of study.

4. Aug 25, 2008 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The wikipedia article is a good starting place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photovoltaic_cells

Lots of discussion and web pointers concerning efficiency...

5. Aug 25, 2008 #4
    Thanks a lot guys.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I might do the respective combinations of the color of light when I project them onto the solar cell?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook