The Physics Behind Moving Opposite the Car: Exploring the Mystery

In summary, when a car accelerates, there is a force that pushes you towards the back of your seat. This force is referred to as a fictitious force, as the real force is the car seat pushing you towards the front of the car. This is due to your frame of reference being the moving car. Similarly, when the car turns, your frame of reference also changes, causing the sensation of being pushed in the opposite direction. This is explained by Newton's first law, which states that a body will continue to move in a straight line unless an external force acts upon it.
Einstein60
I a car,why do you move back when the car accelerates forward. You move forward when the car accelerates backwards,You move right when the car turns left on a bent road, you move left when the car turns right on a bent road.
What actually makes you move in the opposite direction of the car.

Physics news on Phys.org
In another thread you asked a question about Newton's first law. What does that law say?

Likes russ_watters
Einstein60 said:
I a car,why do you move back when the car accelerates forward. You move forward when the car accelerates backwards,You move right when the car turns left on a bent road, you move left when the car turns right on a bent road.
What actually makes you move in the opposite direction of the car.
Unless you fall out, aren't you compelled to move in the same direction as the car? Isn't that how the car takes you to your destination?

It would be funnny if the car drove north and you moved south, and you ended up in different places. That would be weird!

Likes russ_watters
That's true but I mean when the car accelerates, a certain force pushes you to the seat.
PeroK said:
Unless you fall out, aren't you compelled to move in the same direction as the car? Isn't that how the car takes you to your destination?

It would be funnny if the car drove north and you moved south, and you ended up in different places. That would be weird!

Einstein60 said:
That's true but I mean when the car accelerates, a certain force pushes you to the seat.
Does it really? Or, does the seat simply push you forwards?

Ibix said:
In another thread you asked a question about Newton's first law. What does that law say?
It says every body continues to stay at rest or if it is moving continues to move in a straight line unless an external force acts on it to change its direction or state of motion.

PeroK said:
Does it really? Or, does the seat simply push you forwards?
I remember one day when I entered a bus. I was standing taking money from my Pocket I didn't know the driver was about to take off. Immediately the driver drove the car, an unknown force pushed me back on the seat.

Einstein60 said:
I remember one day when I entered a bus. I was standing taking money from my Pocket I didn't know the driver was about to take off. Immediately the driver drove the car, an unknown force pushed me back on the seat.
Isn't that the floor of the bus pulling your feet forwards? Like, if you are standing on a carpet, which someone pulls violently in one direction, pulling your feet in that direction and causing you to fall over?

If your feet were not on the floor of the bus, there would be no force, surely?

PeroK said:
Isn't that the floor of the bus pulling your feet forwards? Like, if you are standing on a carpet, which someone pulls violently in one direction, pulling your feet in that direction and causing you to fall over?

Thank you very much. I now understand.

Likes Lnewqban
Einstein60 said:
Thank you very much. I now understand.
What you've identified is what is sometimes called a "fictitious force". The example with the carper is a good one. The real force is definitely to the left, say. The carpet gets pulled to the left and your feet get pulled to the left with it. This causes a certain sensation of your upper body having been pushed over to the right.

But, it is only your mind playing tricks. The real force in the car or bus is forward: it's the seat or the floor pushing you in the direction of the vehicle's motion. But, your mind creates a sensation of being pushed backwards relative to your surroundings.

Likes Lnewqban
You can think of it like laying down a sheet of graph paper horizontally on your seat. When the car accelerates forward, the graph paper moves forward and your butt moves backward relative to the graph paper.

While you are sitting in the car you tend to unconsciously adopt the car (and, by extension, the graph paper) as your standard of rest. It becomes your "frame of reference". You judge your own motion relative to the car.

Likes vanhees71
Indeed, and if the car is accelerating it's a non-inertial frame and you'll interpret the corresponding inertial forces as forces. It's important to keep in mind that the inertial forces only make sense in a non-inertial frame.

The description wrt. an inertial frame is always simpler. According to this simpler point of view you are accelerated with the car and thus there must be some true force accelerating you, and this force it is you "feel".

Likes jbriggs444
Although
vanhees71 said:
The description wrt. an inertial frame is always simpler.
Although the description is easier, the complete calculation may or may not be.

For instance, in weather prediction or naval gunfire it is traditional to calculate using the Coriolis force to determine weather for a stationary Chicago under a 10 mile per hour west wind rather than to use a purely inertial analysis to determine weather for a moving Chicago under a 590 mile per hour east wind.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:

PeroK said:

But with a bicycle, it is different

Einstein60 said:
When you push on the pedals that results in the back wheel being forced backwards against the ground. Static friction acts and, by Newton's third law, the ground applies a force to the bike. It's similar to walking in a way.

Likes Einstein60
Einstein60 said:
I a car,why do you move back when the car accelerates forward.
You don't move backwards. You move forwards, just not as much as the car.

Likes russ_watters and jbriggs444
Mister T said:
You don't move backwards. You move forwards, just not as much as the car.
You move forward with the car but your upper body goes back and lie on the seat.
It's like Newton's first law, when the car is at rest, you continue to be at rest with the car. But when the car accelerates forward, you still want to be at rest so your upper body moves a little backwards.

Einstein60 said:
You move forward with the car but your upper body goes back and lie on the seat.
It's like Newton's first law, when the car is at rest, you continue to be at rest with the car. But when the car accelerates forward, you still want to be at rest so your upper body moves a little backwards.
When one shifts frames of reference like that within a single sentence, one ought to display an awareness of having done so.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes PhDeezNutz, russ_watters, PeterDonis and 3 others
Einstein60 said:
No it doesn't. Watch a video of what happens. The seat moves forward and presses against your back.

You can do the same experiment with a child's wagon and a ball. Place the ball in the wagon. Pull the wagon forward and you may think the ball rolls backwards and hits the back of the wagon. But if you make a movie of it happening you will see that the ball actually moves forward. The wagon moves forward, but faster, so the back of the wagon hits the ball.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
Einstein60 said:
But when the car accelerates forward, you still want to be at rest so your upper body moves a little backwards.
No, your upper body doesn't move backwards - not even a little. It is the now-moving car that pushes on your lower body. Your still-at-rest upper body will just follow when your lower body will pull it (or the seat backrest will push it).
Einstein60 said:
No, it isn't. but the acceleration produced by human force might not create enough force between the bicycle and the biker for the biker to feel it.

But sit on a powerful motorcycle under hard acceleration and without a proper backrest the motorcycle will not push you, it's the handlebars that will pull you (and you better hold on tight).

Perception is powerful. I was once at a red light and my foot unknowingly let up on the break. Since I was “stopped“ with my foot “on“ the break, it actually felt like the world was moving towards me until I realized what was happening.

Likes sophiecentaur
Hi
caz said:
Perception is powerful. I was once at a red light and my foot unknowingly let up on the break. Since I was “stopped“ with my foot “on“ the break, it actually felt like the world was moving towards me until I realized what was happening.
You ‘realized’ because of your previous education. It may surprise you that a vast proportion of the population don’t / can’t realize this. People believe what they think they see.

• Skeptical
Likes Bystander

What is the concept of "moving opposite the car"?

The concept of "moving opposite the car" refers to a phenomenon where an object, such as a ball, appears to move in the opposite direction of a moving vehicle when observed from inside the vehicle. This can be observed when throwing a ball from the back of a moving car, where the ball appears to move towards the front of the car instead of in the same direction as the car's motion.

Why does the ball appear to move opposite the car's direction?

This phenomenon is due to the principle of inertia, which states that an object in motion will continue in the same direction and at the same speed unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, the ball is moving at the same speed as the car and is not affected by the car's motion, causing it to appear to move in the opposite direction.

Does this phenomenon only occur in moving vehicles?

No, this phenomenon can also be observed in other situations where an object is in motion and is not affected by external forces. For example, throwing a ball from a moving train or boat can also result in the ball appearing to move opposite the direction of the vehicle's motion.

How does the speed of the vehicle affect this phenomenon?

The speed of the vehicle does not have a significant impact on this phenomenon. As long as the object is not affected by external forces, it will continue to move in the same direction and at the same speed relative to the vehicle, regardless of the vehicle's speed.

Are there any other factors that can affect this phenomenon?

Yes, the direction in which the object is thrown and the angle at which it is thrown can also affect how it appears to move relative to the vehicle's motion. Additionally, external forces such as wind or air resistance can also impact the object's motion and change how it appears to move relative to the vehicle.