The physics behind tilting trains - my oral physics exam

In summary, for your exam on tilting trains, it would be useful to explore the concepts of centripetal force, center of mass, and lateral forces on passengers and tracks. You can also discuss the use of sensors and control systems, and the role of air resistance and friction. Practical demonstrations could include using models, diagrams, or computer simulations. Good luck!
ofaltins
Hi folks!

I'm having my oral exam in physics here in Norway this tuesday. The theme for my exam is "tilting trains". Here is the translated assignement:

What is a tilting train, and how does the physics behind the tilting work?

Why is traveling with tilting trains more comfortable than travellng with normal trains?

Why is the wear and tear on the superstructure less with a tilting train?

I'm also supposed to pick out other topics of relevance to this context.

Here is the other subjects that I've found out this far:

• Centrifugal and gravitational forces
  • Inertial forces
  • air resistance, air drag, friction
  • hydraulics, pressure

I was wondering if any of you guys could help me out:

• coming up with other subjects that I can use on my exam
  • it would also be very nice if you could come up with any practical demonstration that I can perform on my exam - taking the limitations of the equipment on a normal physicslab into consideration.

Look, I'm NOT asking you to actually do my whole exam, I'm just asking for some help brainstorming on subjects and themes for demonstrations that I can perform.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! As a fellow physicist, I would be happy to offer some suggestions for your exam on tilting trains.

Firstly, in order to understand how tilting trains work, it would be useful to explore the concept of centripetal force. This force is responsible for keeping the train on the tracks as it goes around a curve. You can demonstrate this by using a simple pendulum and varying the angle at which it swings.

Another important factor to consider is the center of mass of the train. As the train tilts, the center of mass shifts to the outside of the curve, which helps to counteract the centripetal force and keep the train stable. You can demonstrate this by using a model train and adding weights to one side to represent the center of mass.

In terms of comfort, you can discuss the reduction of lateral forces on passengers due to the tilting motion of the train. This can be demonstrated by having someone sit on a chair with wheels and pushing them around a curve, first without tilting and then with tilting.

For the topic of wear and tear on the superstructure, you can discuss the reduction of lateral forces on the tracks and how that results in less stress and strain on the infrastructure. This can be demonstrated by using a model track and applying pressure to simulate the forces from a non-tilting train and then comparing it to the forces from a tilting train.

Other relevant topics to explore could include the use of sensors and control systems to regulate the tilting motion, the role of air resistance and friction in the movement of the train, and the application of hydraulics and pressure in the tilting mechanism.

As for practical demonstrations, you could use simple models or diagrams to illustrate the concepts, or perhaps use a computer simulation to show the tilting motion in action. If you have access to a wind tunnel, you could also demonstrate the effects of air resistance on the train at different speeds.

I hope these suggestions help and good luck on your exam!

Hi there!

Firstly, good luck on your oral exam! Tilting trains are a fascinating topic and I'm sure you'll do great.

To answer your first question, a tilting train is a train that is designed to tilt inwards when going around a curve. This is done to counteract the centrifugal force that would otherwise push the train outwards. The physics behind this is based on the principles of Newton's Laws of Motion.

When a train is going around a curve, it experiences two main forces: the centrifugal force pushing it outwards and the gravitational force pulling it downwards. In order to keep the train on the tracks, the wheels need to generate enough friction to counteract these forces. However, this can create discomfort for passengers as the train may feel like it is leaning too much.

Tilting trains use a system called active tilting, where the train is equipped with sensors that detect the curvature of the track and the speed of the train. Based on this information, the train's suspension system is adjusted to tilt the train inwards, reducing the centrifugal force and making the ride more comfortable for passengers. This is made possible by hydraulics and pressure systems that control the tilting mechanism.

In terms of wear and tear on the superstructure, tilting trains have an advantage because they can go around curves at higher speeds without compromising safety. This is because the tilting mechanism helps to distribute the forces evenly, reducing the strain on the train and the tracks.

Some other topics that may be relevant to your exam include:

1. Center of mass and stability: You can discuss how the tilting mechanism maintains the train's stability by keeping the center of mass within the base of support.

2. Energy conservation: You can explain how the use of tilting trains can save energy by allowing trains to travel at higher speeds without using as much energy to counteract the centrifugal force.

3. Aerodynamics: You can discuss the role of air resistance and drag in train design and how tilting trains are designed to reduce these forces.

As for practical demonstrations, you can try using a model train set and a curved track to demonstrate the difference in forces between a regular train and a tilting train. You can also use a small scale hydraulic system to show how the tilting mechanism works.

I hope this helps and once again, good luck on your exam!

1. What is the principle behind tilting trains?

The principle behind tilting trains is that the train's body is able to tilt inward on curves, allowing it to maintain a higher speed without causing discomfort for passengers. This is achieved through the use of hydraulic or pneumatic systems that adjust the angle of the train's body in response to changes in the track.

2. How does tilting help improve the performance of trains?

Tilting helps improve the performance of trains by reducing the amount of lateral force experienced by the train on curves. This allows the train to maintain higher speeds, resulting in shorter travel times and increased efficiency. Tilting also helps reduce the strain on the train and tracks, leading to a smoother and more comfortable ride for passengers.

3. What are the factors that affect the tilting of trains?

The tilting of trains is affected by various factors such as the speed of the train, the curvature of the track, and the weight distribution of the train. Additionally, external factors such as wind and weather conditions can also impact the tilting of trains.

4. How do engineers determine the maximum tilt angle for a train?

Engineers determine the maximum tilt angle for a train by considering various factors such as the train's speed, the curvature of the track, and the types of tilting mechanisms used. They also conduct rigorous testing and simulations to ensure the safety and stability of the train at different tilt angles.

5. Are there any limitations to tilting trains?

While tilting trains offer numerous benefits, there are some limitations to their use. Higher tilting angles may cause discomfort for passengers, and the tilting mechanism can add weight and complexity to the train. Additionally, tilting trains may not be suitable for all types of rail systems, as they require specialized tracks and infrastructure.