1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The physics involved in soccer?HELP PLS

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    The physics involved in soccer???HELP PLS

I am writing an extra credit paper which is +10 pts added to my final grade....I decided to do it on soccer. He wants use to pick a topic that involves physics and write a 4 pg paper.....
    This is my paper so far:
    In the game of soccer many physical aspects occur as soon as a ball is kicked. From the moment when a soccer player’s cleat makes direct contact with the ball to the moment when the ball it hits the ground or is shot into a goal, many different physical concepts become involved. I will touch base on a few of these concepts: 1. the effects that velocity has on the ball 2. The path the ball takes after being kicked (projectile motion) 3. and some important forces acting on the ball while it is in the air. Examples would be drag, gravity, flow of air, aerodyamics, Magnus Effect...

I just need to know if I'm off at a good start??? I havent been on this forum since last summer and it was very helpful! Please respond!:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Seems reasonable.

The ball has translational as well as rotational kinetic energy, as well as linear and angular momentum, depending on how it is kicked.

Then there is the air resistance and ground resistance.

As a soccer (futbol) player, one can appreciate the physics invovled.

Knowing just how to meet the ball with one's foot or head is an art.

4. Nov 16, 2005 #3
    anymore suggestions or thoughts?

well is it necessary that I bring up translational/rotational kinetic energy, and linear and angular momentum or air resistance and ground resistance??? I don't know how important these concepts are compared to what I am going to talk about in my paper. We can't go over 4 pgs so I was trying to keep it kinda simple.......?????????

5. Nov 16, 2005 #4
    Maybe you could focus on one topic. I'm a bit curious how they can get the ball to bend so much on free kicks, i.e. around human walls. One would be tempted to say rotational kinetic energy, but if it is a knuckle ball (no spinning) how is it bending? This is true for baseball as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?