What are the fundamental principles of a computer's operation?

In summary, semiconductors are a class of materials that have been used in electronic devices for decades. They are found in integrated circuits, and are the basis of modern digital computers.
dobry_den
Hi! I've chosen my coursework to be "The Physics of a Computer"... I've just started collecting study materials, so I'd be very grateful if you could recommend me any web pages or books concerning this topic... Thanks a lot in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
And a good day to you as well!

You have asked a very broad question, I would guess that you are wanting to talk about modern digital computers, so really you are asking how solid state devices work. For this you need to be in the Electrical Engineering forum..

I will move this question there. Meanwhile you may want to try to narrow down the question a bit. Such broad topics are difficult to cover in this format.

dobry_den said:
Hi! I've chosen my coursework to be "The Physics of a Computer"... I've just started collecting study materials, so I'd be very grateful if you could recommend me any web pages or books concerning this topic... Thanks a lot in advance.

Try to focus on one component in a computer. Memory is a good topic. So are power supplies and processors.

As mentioned, you should start with the subject of semiconductors, then I think you should read up about integrated circuits, and then finally you can read more about computers to see how the three concepts are tied together. Here's a starting point at wikipedia.org about semiconductors. There are integrated circuit and computer entries there as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductor

I'd say the best place to start is the MOSFET. You don't really even need to know that much about semiconductors to get the gist of their operation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOSFET

- Warren

Thanks for your replies! I've changed (narrowed) the topic a bit, so i'll start with semiconductors and then i'll choose a component that'll be covered in detail.. I'll be back here when I'm decided on the component ;-)

Last edited:

What is the physics behind a computer?

The physics behind a computer involves the principles of electricity, magnetism, and quantum mechanics. The flow of electricity through circuits and the use of magnetic fields in hard drives and speakers are essential to the functioning of a computer. Additionally, the behavior of subatomic particles and quantum effects play a role in the design of computer chips.

How does a computer use energy?

A computer uses energy in various forms, including electricity, light, and heat. The energy is typically converted into electrical signals that are then processed by the computer's components. The energy is also used to power the computer's cooling system to prevent overheating.

What is the role of semiconductors in a computer?

Semiconductors, typically made from silicon, are essential to the functioning of a computer. They are used to create transistors, which act as switches to control the flow of electricity. Transistors are then used to create logic gates, which are the building blocks of computer processors.

How do quantum effects impact computer design?

Quantum effects, such as superposition and entanglement, have a significant impact on the design of computer chips. These effects allow for the creation of quantum computers, which use quantum bits (qubits) instead of traditional bits. Qubits have the potential to perform certain calculations much faster than classical computers, making them suitable for solving certain types of problems.

What is the connection between thermodynamics and computers?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformation. In the case of computers, thermodynamics is essential in understanding how energy is used and dissipated within the system. The second law of thermodynamics states that energy is always lost in the form of heat, which is why computers require cooling systems to prevent overheating.