Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Physics of a Computer

1. Oct 30, 2006 #1
    Hi! I've chosen my coursework to be "The Physics of a Computer"... I've just started collecting study materials, so I'd be very grateful if you could recommend me any web pages or books concerning this topic... Thanks a lot in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2006 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And a good day to you as well!

You have asked a very broad question, I would guess that you are wanting to talk about modern digital computers, so really you are asking how solid state devices work. For this you need to be in the Electrical Engineering forum..

I will move this question there. Meanwhile you may want to try to narrow down the question a bit. Such broad topics are difficult to cover in this format.

4. Oct 31, 2006 #3
    Try to focus on one component in a computer. Memory is a good topic. So are power supplies and processors.

5. Oct 31, 2006 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

As mentioned, you should start with the subject of semiconductors, then I think you should read up about integrated circuits, and then finally you can read more about computers to see how the three concepts are tied together. Here's a starting point at wikipedia.org about semiconductors. There are integrated circuit and computer entries there as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductor

6. Oct 31, 2006 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd say the best place to start is the MOSFET. You don't really even need to know that much about semiconductors to get the gist of their operation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOSFET

- Warren

7. Nov 4, 2006 #6
    Thanks for your replies! I've changed (narrowed) the topic a bit, so i'll start with semiconductors and then i'll choose a component that'll be covered in detail.. I'll be back here when I'm decided on the component ;-)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?