Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Physics of a Microprocessor

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    Hello,

I'm doing an independent research project on overclocking. For those who are not familiar with overclocking, it is essentially tuning settings in a computers BIOS to make a processor run faster (bus speeds, voltages, core multipliers, ect). I am finished with the technical process of overclocking my computer, and am researching for my term paper (high school, btw).

I want to focus on the fundamental (general) process that a CPU uses to process data, and how information is transferred throughout motherboard (through buses to one component to another).

In regards to the processor, I am focusing on the roll of the integrated circuit (transistors), but don't know how i could use physics to describe this.

Not sure what rout i should take..

Ideas?

As for the transfer of data, electrons follow the buses, set at default frequencies (increasing those frequencies is the reason overclocking increases the speed of a CPU).

So, I have a general idea of how most of this works, but want to use physics to describe it.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted