The Physics of Audio: Research & Info Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for good links to websites related to the physics of stereo systems for a report. The source of music, such as a CD, leads to the fields of quantum mechanics and electromagnetism, while a radio source requires research on the superhetodyne receiver, amplitude modulation, frequency modulation, and antenna. Key words to guide the research are provided.
wesl56
hello, does anyone happen to have any good links to websites for physics relating to audio? i am going to be doing a report on "the physics of stereo systems", and i need some good information to use for it, and i am also interested in learning more about this subject... i have been searching, but not comming up with much luck... thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not going to do the searches for you but will attempt to point you toward the fields of Physics which apply.

The starting point would be the source. If the source of your music is a CD you need to know about LASERs which leads you to QUANTUM MECHANICS to understand the fundamental operation. Then the optical variations need to be changed to electrical signals. This can be done with PHOTO DIODES. More Quantum Mechanics. Once you have an electrical signal you will need to know about the electronics of an AMPLIFIER work. This will lead you to ELECTRO MAGNETISM. Here the words VOLTAGE, CURRENT, RESISTANCE and CAPACITANCE will need to be investigated.

Now that the signal has been read and amplified it must be converted to sound energy in the speakers. This is more electro magnetism this time with INDUCTANCE being critical.

If your source is the radio you should research the SUPERHETRODYNE RECEIVER, AMPLITUDE MODULATION, FREQUENCY MODULATION and ANTENNA.

The all caps words are key words to guide your investigations.

Good Luck

What is the physics behind sound and audio?

The physics of sound and audio involves understanding the physical properties of sound waves and how they travel through different mediums. This includes concepts such as frequency, amplitude, and wavelength, as well as the relationship between sound and energy.

How does sound travel through different mediums?

Sound travels through different mediums, such as air, water, and solids, by compressing and rarefying the molecules in the medium. This creates a wave that travels through the medium and can be detected by our ears as sound.

What is the relationship between frequency and pitch in audio?

Frequency and pitch are closely related in audio. Frequency is the number of cycles of a sound wave that occur in one second, measured in Hertz (Hz). The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch of the sound.

How does the shape and size of an object affect its ability to produce sound?

The shape and size of an object have a significant impact on its ability to produce sound. This is because sound waves are influenced by the shape and size of the object they are traveling through, which can affect the frequency and amplitude of the sound produced.

What is the role of acoustics in audio production?

Acoustics play a crucial role in audio production. It involves the study of how sound waves behave in different environments and how they can be manipulated to produce a desired sound. Understanding acoustics is essential for creating high-quality audio recordings and for designing optimal listening spaces.