1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Physics of F1?

1. Aug 16, 2009 #1
    I need to do some research on the physics of F1, and it can't be too complicated.
    I've already got centripetal force, but can't think of any more at the moment :S

Help please?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2009 #2

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

are you talkin about the Formula One motorsports competiton?

4. Aug 16, 2009 #3
    The doppler effect would be a good subject with F1.

5. Aug 16, 2009 #4
    Physics of F1 is a bit broad. Could you narrow that down to a more specific aim.

And Turv I like how you got the doppler effect in there. I would have never thought of that, but it is the thing people think about when you ask them to make the noise of a grand prix car. NEEEEEEEEEOWWWWWWWWW!

6. Aug 17, 2009 #5
    There was a show in either discovery or history channel about exactly this. The g-forces around turns and such are completely insane.

7. Aug 17, 2009 #6

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

i don't have access to my notes but a few things to ponder regarding F1. This is the highest level of racing. It has evolved over time and is the classic Rules versus car owner ingenutiy. the previous posts are addressing cornering as far as the most popular topic. engine development is another big part but don't think we need to go into 22,000 RPM ear splitting detail in thispost. the insane cornering Gs are mainly due to lots of Aero stuffm tire deveolpment, and ultra trick suspension..there is so much down force available on these cars tha ttheoretically they could drive upside down on the ceiling...so recommend you start looking at the Aero aspect

8. Aug 17, 2009 #7
    some other ideas:

-simple kinematics, acceleration times, things like that
    -softening of the tires due to temperatures caused by friciton
    -the way the cars are designed to give massive downward force (kind of like an opposite wing)

9. Aug 17, 2009 #8
    The downforces are amazing. These cars could literally run on the ceiling if the track was built upside down.

10. Aug 17, 2009 #9
    very cool....someone needs to build a track that starts normally and then curls upside down so I can see this in action.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook