The Physics of Golden Eye Help

In summary,-Bullets have a lot of kinetic energy.-A bullet has more kinetic energy than falling out of bed from a height of 1 m.
blue_phoenix
1. Bond's usual gun of choice in every movie is a Walther PPK (except when he can get his hands on a machine gun
which blows up more guys). A bullet like this has a mass of around 15g and leaves the gun at 288m/s. Calculate the
kinetic energy in a bullet like this.
2.Aside from shooting bad guys, Bond has a lot off success with, ummm, the ladies. Imagine he is resting in bed one morning
1 m off the ground and that his mass is 63.5 kg. What is his potential energy relative to the ground when he in bed?
3. Do answers from (1) and (2) surprise you? Why is a bullet more damaging than falling out of bed from a height of 1 m?

2. I think i have to use the formula of kinetic energy. Kinetic energy = (mv^2)2 and gravitational potential energy = mgh
sorry i can't use the codes properly so i wrote it this way :redface:

3. For number 1 i did

E_k=(mv^2)/2
= (0.015)(288^2)/2
=622.05 J
=6.22 x 10^2 J
so the kinetic energy is 6.22 x 10^2 J
Is this approximation correct since the question has 3 sig figs?

for number 2 i did

Eg=mgh
=63.5 x 9.80 x 1
=622.3 J
=6.22 x 10^2 J
so the gravitational potential enegry is 6.22 x 10^2 J
Is it also appropriate?

for number 3 i wrote
A bullet is more damaging than falling out of bed from height of 1 m because a bullet with its smaller surface area causes more impact on the small area thus creating more damage where is the pressure by falling one meter is spread through the whole body enabling the body to dissipate the damage and get less hurt.

Is it accurate?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
looks fine, except that you wrote different speeds, 288 and 228 :)

thank you.sorry that was a typing error. so is my third answer correct i mean is it alright to use those terms i used? also can i ask some more questions related to this topic in here? :)
thank you very much

Kinetic energy is 1/2 mv^2

mgb_phys said:
Kinetic energy is 1/2 mv^2
yes i did write that :)
i just wrote the whole thing and divided by two :)

1. What is the physics behind the iconic GoldenEye gun barrel sequence?

The gun barrel sequence in GoldenEye is a prime example of how physics is used in cinematography. The sequence utilizes a combination of camera movement, lighting, and sound to create the illusion of 007 moving through a gun barrel. The camera movement creates the sense of motion, while lighting and sound help to build tension and add to the dramatic effect.

2. How realistic is the tank chase scene in GoldenEye?

The tank chase scene in GoldenEye involves James Bond driving a tank through the streets of St. Petersburg. While the scene may seem unrealistic, it is actually based on real physics principles. The tank's center of gravity, weight, and speed are all taken into account to ensure the scene is as realistic as possible.

3. What is the role of physics in the iconic GoldenEye laser watch?

The laser watch in GoldenEye is a classic example of how physics can be used to create advanced gadgets. The laser beam is created by using a high-powered laser diode and a series of lenses to focus the beam. This technology is based on real physics principles and has been used in various industries, including medicine and manufacturing.

4. How does the electromagnetic pulse (EMP) in GoldenEye work?

The EMP in GoldenEye is a powerful electromagnetic field that is emitted from a satellite. This technology is based on real physics principles and can disrupt electronic equipment and communication systems. The EMP in GoldenEye is created by using a high-powered microwave emitter, which is similar to how real EMP weapons work.

5. Is the gravity-defying motorcycle jump scene in GoldenEye possible?

The motorcycle jump scene in GoldenEye is a fan-favorite, but is it actually possible? While it may seem unrealistic, the stunt is based on real physics principles. The key is the angle and speed of the ramp, which are calculated to give the motorcycle enough lift to clear the gap. However, the scene may still be embellished for cinematic effect.