Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Physics of Inflation

1. Jun 14, 2005 #1
    >>I'm trying to create a design for an improved, non-hesitationg pilot-chute, but going back through all my old text books I cannot find anything about the physics of inflation (which I understand are complex and chaotic). The only reference materials I've been able to find is a book called "Parachute Recovery Systems Design Manual" by Knacke, but it's rare and will take months to acquire. Is anyone out there familiar with the physics of inflation, or can point me to some reference materials containing theories, formula's, spec's, experimental designs etc for parachutes? An odd request I know but any help would be welcome!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2005 #2
    >>Just in case anyone's interested, I found some info on work being done by TASFM as Rice University on this subject. Apparently Fluid Dynamics governs inflation, which hadn't occured to me.

>>Here's one on a study of the old round parachute design:

4. Jul 11, 2005 #3
    I saw a NOVA special on NASA's Mars mission. There was 20 minutes or so on the parachute design and problems with inflation. You may want to look into that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?