Have you ever read The Physics of Star Trek? What are your thoughts on it?

In summary: I liked how he differentiated between class III and class II impossibility, because it helped me understand some of the things that might not be possible in the near future.
idiosyncratic
has anyone ever read it? I'm reading it now, and sometimes I don't understand some of it (I'm in 8th grade), but it keeps me on my toes. Anyone else ever read it, and if so what do you think of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Physics of Star Trek was the first book on physics I had ever read, and it was the one of the things that really got me hooked on the subject. I cannot recommend enough. Do not worry if you cannot understand everything; I couldn't until I got a little deeper into the topics they present.

I would also suggest Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku for when you finish The Physics of Star Trek. It is a little harder, but it explores similar things like force fields and time travel. It is also a little more up to date. Kaku also divides the book into three parts: Class I Impossibilities, Class II Impossibilities, and Class III Impossibilities. They give a better idea of what may actually become a possibility. I would highly recommend both books. Enjoy reading.

I'll see if its in the library. :-) It sounds like something I'd like. I finished The Physics Of Star Trek (and somewhere within that time period I had turned into a total trekker), and found Beyond Star Trek by the same author. Its about Star Trek, X-files and Cloverfield, and I've only watched Star Trek, so I'll look into the other things before I read that.

I haven't read "The Physics of Star Trek", but I can back up that recommendation for "Physics of the Impossible". It did a good job at stimulating my imagination and inspiring me to stick with the engineering major. I still think about utilizing some of the technology mentioned in the book, along with similar technology. Kaku (the author) also talks a lot about Star Trek and other science fictions too in the book, such as the use of "force fields" and "phasers".

1. How accurate is the physics in Star Trek?

The physics in Star Trek is a combination of real scientific principles and fictional concepts. While some aspects may be based on real physics, others are purely speculative and not possible with our current understanding of science.

2. Can warp speed and time travel really be achieved?

Warp speed and time travel are currently not possible with our current technology and understanding of physics. They are purely theoretical concepts and may never be achievable in reality.

3. How does the transporter technology work?

The transporter technology in Star Trek is based on the concept of quantum teleportation, which involves scanning an object's properties and recreating it in another location. This is not currently possible with our technology.

4. Is the concept of parallel universes and alternate timelines scientifically possible?

The idea of parallel universes and alternate timelines is a popular concept in science fiction, but it is still a topic of debate in the scientific community. While there are theories that suggest the existence of multiple universes, there is currently no solid evidence to support this idea.

5. Can the laws of physics be bent or broken in the Star Trek universe?

In the Star Trek universe, the laws of physics are often bent or broken to fit the needs of the story. While this may make for exciting storytelling, it is not possible in reality. The laws of physics are fundamental and cannot be changed or ignored.