The Unique Physics of Water: Exploring its Physical Properties

In summary, Water is unique in that it has many unique physical properties. These properties include being in dynamic equilibrium between the liquid, gas and solid states, having a high surface tension, and being the only substance found naturally on Earth to be so.
-RA-
I was wondering what are the physical properties of water that make it so different from other liquids?

I stand to be corrected on this list, but i think water is unique in the following attributes;

- Water is in dynamic equilibrium between the liquid, gas and solid states at standard temperature and pressure, and is the only substance found naturally on Earth to be so.
- It has the highest natural Electronegativity
- It is the only natural liquid that gains volume when frozen
- It is the only liquid that supports all known life
- It is the strongest natural solvent
- Second highest specific heat capacity of any known chemical compound
- Water has a very high surface tension compared to other liquids

It seems to be a lot of characteristics for something that is, in essence, just one oxygen and two hydrogen atoms. Why is it so unique?

Physics news on Phys.org
The H20 molecule has a large polarizability,
and also readily ionizes.

I found a link that should help. http://www.ozh2o.com/h2chem.html Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
clem said:
The H20 molecule has a large polarizability,
and also readily ionizes.

:confused:

you mean it is a polar molecular?

-RA- said:
It seems to be a lot of characteristics for something that is, in essence, just one oxygen and two hydrogen atoms. Why is it so unique?
The simplicity of the structure is the key to it's uniqueness. Complex molecules (such as the Hydrocarbon family) are more likely to have similar chemical "cousins" because the addition of an atom or bond is less of a perturbation to the original molecule if it is complex, than if it is exceedingly simple.

I'm not a chemist, and there are probably other factors, but the trend that simplicity = uniqueness makes sense in my mind.

Claude.

ice109 said:
:confused:

you mean it is a polar molecular?
Yes...

Water is a perfect example of hydrogen bonding too, because almost all the lone pair in each molecule are involved in hydrogen bonding..And maybe because of this unique property, water is known as universal solvent..:wink:

- Second highest specific heat capacity of any known chemical compound
Which is the first ? And what is its heat capacity ?

H20 is a really strange molecule with lots of interesting properties. It is e.g. quite amazing that such a simple structure can form so many different solid phases (I think there were 11 at last count).
If you are really interested I cn recommend the book "H20" by Phillip Ball.
It is pop sci but good pop sci (which is rare).

alvaros said:
Which is the first ? And what is its heat capacity ?

i think that ammonia is the first, followed by water. specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to increase the temperature of a substance by a certain temperature interval. its basically its ability to absorb heat.

f95toli said:
H20 is a really strange molecule with lots of interesting properties. It is e.g. quite amazing that such a simple structure can form so many different solid phases (I think there were 11 at last count).

thanx for the info. Wikipedia says there are 14 types, and some of them have some interesting characteristics, Ice X1, is a type of of hexagonal ice and is ferroelectric. Is this another unique property of water, that it can form into many different solid states?

1. What makes water a unique substance?

Water is considered a unique substance because it exists in all three states of matter (solid, liquid, and gas) at temperatures commonly found on Earth. It also has a high surface tension, high specific heat, and the ability to dissolve a wide range of substances.

2. How does the structure of water molecules contribute to its physical properties?

The structure of water molecules, with two hydrogen atoms bonded to one oxygen atom, results in a bent shape and a polarity. This polarity allows water molecules to form hydrogen bonds with each other, leading to properties such as high surface tension and the ability to dissolve other polar molecules.

3. What is the significance of water's high specific heat?

Water's high specific heat means that it requires a large amount of energy to change temperature. This makes water a great stabilizer of temperature in both living organisms and the environment. It also plays a crucial role in regulating the Earth's climate.

4. How does water's high surface tension affect living organisms?

Water's high surface tension allows it to form a "skin" on its surface, which allows small organisms, such as insects, to walk on water. It also allows plants to pull water up from their roots to their leaves through capillary action. In addition, it supports the movement of nutrients and waste products in and out of cells in living organisms.

5. What causes water to expand when it freezes?

Water expands when it freezes due to the arrangement of its molecules. As water freezes, the molecules form a lattice structure, with empty spaces between them. This results in the expansion of the substance, making ice less dense than liquid water. This property of water is crucial for the survival of aquatic organisms in cold environments, as it creates an insulating layer on top of the water.