Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Pitch Dripped!

1. Jul 18, 2013 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2013 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have to wonder.

4. Jul 19, 2013 #3

cobalt124

Gold Member

Damn, I looked away for a couple of seconds and missed it!

5. Jul 19, 2013 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wasn't there some kind of ancient torture where the victim was subjected to having pitch eventually drip onto the bridge of his nose? The first drop was never all that bad. It was the waiting for second drop that usually got to the victim. I heard the survivors were never quite the same again.

6. Jul 20, 2013 #5
    No wonder. If it takes 10 years for the second drop to fall! :cry:

7. Jul 20, 2013 #6
    Do you not see the world within the world: what caused it to drop? No, not gravity, not viscosity, not time, and not that lil' bit of shaking they do when you're not watchin'. No, I mean the catastrophe that is the drip. That is the significance of the drip and its reach is unbounded.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  8. Jul 20, 2013 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm glad the time-lapse video was available, my life now is forever changed: I've watched "the most eagerly anticipated and exhilarating drips in science". What could top that?

9. Jul 20, 2013 #8

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is even worse than running 10,000 hour creep tests where for the low temperature and low load conditions you set up the machine, come back 14 months (i.e. 10,000 hours) later to see what happened, and the only "data" you recorded was when the lab cleaner accidentally thumped the test machine with a floor polisher once every 3 months.

We once had an enthusiastic "financial engineering" project manager who proposed using 10 test machines at once to do a 10,000 hour test in 1,000 hours. We told him if he could figure out a way to make a baby in 1 month using 9 women, we would try the same idea...

10. Jul 20, 2013 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

11. Jul 21, 2013 #10

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I can't guarantee success, but I'm willing to volunteer myself as the male subject for that experiment. All in the name of Science. :biggrin:

Provided the women are all smokin' hot, of course.

12. Aug 5, 2013 #11
    Watching Newton watch an apple drop.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook