What is the power of suggestion in the placebo effect?

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved a student who spilled sulfuric acid on himself, thinking it was water, and felt a burning sensation. The other student suggested it may have been a form of mind control or self-hypnosis, but there may be a better term for it. Another student shared a similar experience with being tricked into liking a food by not knowing what it was.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
I was in the lab yesterday testing some soil samples when I had this exchange with another student:
"I spilled some of that acid on myself a minute ago, and it's kinda starting to burn now." he says, pointing to a bottle on the desk next to him.
"That's water." says I.
"oh..."

:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Does he speak strange languages, lift incredibly heavy weights? Does he have mysterious symbols or words on his skin? Does he swear a lot and he is lustful towards inappropriate or reluctant partners? Does he listen to Ozzy Osbourne music?

He could be possessed by the Devil, which would explain the burning sensation he felt when exposed to water.

That's not really an example of the placebo effect:

Placebo effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Address:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo_effect

which involves a cure or allieviation of symptoms. I think it might just be an example of self-hypnosis, but something tells me there's a better term.

zoobyshoe said:
That's not really an example of the placebo effect:
Well, if you consider the fact that the liquid was sulfuric acid, matthyaouw's suggestion that it was only water would be an example of mind control equal to a placebo effect. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Well, if you consider the fact that the liquid was sulfuric acid, matthyaouw's suggestion that it was only water would be an example of mind control equal to a placebo effect. :biggrin:
Yes, he is clearly some sort of Shao Lin monk.

this reminds me of one time, where someone offered me a pretzel. I ate it, sort of liked it, and asked what flavor it was. they said mustard and I started gagging

(I h8 mustard)

^
It's the funniest thing when that happens. My mother once had a cow-tongue burrito and loved it, thought it was the greatest burrito she'd ever eaten. As soon as she found out what it was, she nearly retroactively vomited.

yomamma said:
this reminds me of one time, where someone offered me a pretzel. I ate it, sort of liked it, and asked what flavor it was. they said mustard and I started gagging

(I h8 mustard)
Ahh, so George Bush isn't the only one.

1. What is the placebo effect?

The placebo effect is a phenomenon in which a person experiences a positive therapeutic effect, even though they have received a treatment that has no active ingredients. It is believed to be a result of the person's belief and expectation that the treatment will work.

2. How does the placebo effect work?

The placebo effect is thought to work by triggering the brain's natural healing mechanisms. When a person believes they are receiving a beneficial treatment, the brain releases neurotransmitters and endorphins that can reduce pain and improve mood.

3. What conditions can be affected by the placebo effect?

The placebo effect has been observed in a range of conditions, including pain, depression, anxiety, and Parkinson's disease. It is also commonly seen in clinical trials for new medications, as a control group is typically given a placebo to compare the effects of the new drug.

4. Can the placebo effect be used intentionally?

Yes, the placebo effect can be harnessed intentionally in a process known as the placebo effect in action. This involves using psychological techniques, such as positive suggestion and expectation, to trigger the brain's natural healing mechanisms and improve symptoms.

5. How can the placebo effect impact scientific research?

The placebo effect can significantly impact scientific research, particularly in clinical trials. It can make it difficult to determine the true effectiveness of a treatment, as the placebo group may experience positive results due to their belief in the treatment. Therefore, researchers must carefully design and control studies to account for the placebo effect.