Why Did the Plague Sweep Through Europe in 1347?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: That's just unlucky.Chesterton is all so the site of a roman fort on the Foss road, i have found coins on the non scheduled edges.And there is a stone built windmill on the hill.Kurdt of Gateshead, in the spring of 1348 you are a vile Knight. You are spared by the Black Death, only to be killed in a freak jousting accident. Damn! I mean killed fair and square I could handle, but by a freak accident?... That's just unlucky.
Math Is Hard said:
:rofl:

So, Evo - what kind of snacks did you make up tonight to go with watching the Plague? I can't think of anything suitable.

Carrion pie? the birds are so fat and juicy.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Carrion pie? the birds are so fat and juicy.

Yikes, Wolly!

The sisters have got me craving popcorn now. But I have none, so I am snacking on some mango and pineapple slices dipped in coconut yogurt.

hypatia of Florida, in the spring of 1348 you are a heavy-drinking lady of the manor.

You escape the plague, and outlive your husband by thirty years, proving the old adage that men are quitters.

hehheh Pass me another glass of Mead!

hypatia said:
h
You escape the plague, and outlive your husband by thirty years, proving the old adage that men are quitters.

:rofl: The men don't seem to be faring too well here. :rofl:

Huckleberry of PF, in the spring of 1348 you are a lecherous Knight.

You are spared by the Black Death, only to be killed in a freak jousting accident

Damn you Kurdt! You killed me.:grumpy:

I usupect a random element to this test. There seems to be a lot of variety in the results for such a simple test.

Huckleberry said:
Damn you Kurdt! You killed me.:grumpy:

You killed me first! :mad:

Bob, in the spring of 1348 you are a greedy Bishop.

You escape God's wrath, survive the plague, and live out your days in the opulent style befitting a senior cleric.
An opulent lifestyle among lecherous nuns? :biggrin:

wolram said:
Later on i gave up being a Physician and bought a tavern

Yet you never thought to give up being odorous? :confused:

turbo-1 of Maine, in the spring of 1348 you are a lecherous Thief.

The Black Death is indeed God-sent. You make your fortune ransacking abandoned property, and retire as a sort of proto-Fagin type character.

Hey! Someone's got to take patronize the lecherous nuns.

Kurdt said:
You killed me first! :mad:
That's what was so freakish, Huck killed you first, you fell to the ground, your lance wedged upward, Huck fell off of his horse and was impaled on your lance.

It could get terribly complicated if any more knights are discovered. :uhh:

Evo said:
That's what was so freakish, Huck killed you first, you fell to the ground, your lance wedged upward, Huck fell off of his horse and was impaled on your lance.
I'm actually not lecherous at all. I'm just extraordinarily clumsy, but I can see how the two could be confused.

Evo said:

Where's arildno to comment on this? :biggrin: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Where's arildno to comment on this? :biggrin: :rofl:
I hope you're not implying I fell off my horse on purpose!:grumpy:

Nine people played and none personally died the Black Death?

Is the game rigged to make everyone feel lucky or is it just because so many players are located in America vs Europe?

And why do we have no prosititutes?

BobG said:
And why do we have no prosititutes?
If you had watched the show, you'd know that all the prostitutes were run out of the towns or murdered, since people thought that God was punishing them for allowing such things.

At least we have MIH, the foul mouthed serving wench. :tongue:

And a lecherous nun. Thats the same as a kinky prostitute.

Evo said:
If you had watched the show, you'd know that all the prostitutes were run out of the towns or murdered, since people thought that God was punishing them for allowing such things.

At least we have MIH, the foul mouthed serving wench. :tongue:

Sometimes I wish we still had "titles" on PF. I'd definitely change mine to that! :approve:

I don't have cable (just an antenna) so I missed the show, but I recall that at the time of the plague, there was a fear of witchcraft and people killed cats because they were considered "familiars" of the witches, helping the rats extend their flea-bitten lives and worsening the outbreaks.

I just put in wolram instead of my proper name.

wolram of leamington spa, in the spring of 1348 you are a knock-kneed Bishop.

You escape God's wrath, survive the plague, and live out your days in the opulent style befitting a senior cleric.

I like this one better

Kurdt said:
And a lecherous nun. Thats the same as a kinky prostitute.
So true!

Math Is Hard said:
Sometimes I wish we still had "titles" on PF. I'd definitely change mine to that! :approve:
I wish we could get titles back too, those were fun.

wolram said:
I just put in wolram instead of my proper name.

wolram of leamington spa, in the spring of 1348 you are a knock-kneed Bishop.

I like this one better
You can use the same name over and over again, with the same options checked, and come up with different outcomes, including death by plague, which is fairly colorful.

I kept getting greedy "peasent". :frown:

turbo-1 said:
You can use the same name over and over again, with the same options checked, and come up with different outcomes, including death by plague, which is fairly colorful.

I kept trying for handsome brave young knight who survived the plague and lived a long life,
but there aint one.

Well, it just got worse. :cry:

Evo of Texas, in the spring of 1348 you are an odorous Nun.

Despite attending the sick and dying, you survive the Black Death as though by divine ordinance, and are regarded with awe.

I tried again.

Evo of Texas, in the spring of 1348 you are a stinking Nun.

Despite attending the sick and dying, you survive the Black Death as though by divine ordinance, and are regarded with awe.
I should have stopped while I was ahead.

I used my real name last night and got the same result. My destiny is to be killed in a freak jousting accident.

Evo said:
Well, it just got worse. :cry:

Evo of Texas, in the spring of 1348 you are an odorous Nun.

I tried again.
Evo of Texas, in the spring of 1348 you are a stinking Nun.

I should have stopped while I was ahead.

Um, :uhh: if I get a choice, I think I'll go for the lecherous nun, instead.

There's always Wolram, the knock-kneed, former oderous physician that turned to a career in alcohol abuse before becoming a born-again Christian.

Last edited:
I think I'll stick with being a lecherous nun. That sounds a lot more fun than being an odorous or stinking nun. :rofl:

BobG said:
There's always Wolram, the knock-kneed, former oderous physician that turned to a career in alcohol abuse before becoming a born-again Christian.

Thats funny I went the other way. My tragic and ultimately fatal dependence on various forms of hard drugs and alcohol helped me overcome my previous dependence on born again christianity. Thats what led to the freak jousting accident :uhh:

Don't drink and joust kids :wink:

As an act of charity i am running a wash the stinking nun clinic, the lecherous ones can come too.

wolram said:
As an act of charity i am running a wash the stinking nun clinic, the lecherous ones can come too.

Only if I get to help wash the odorous physicians turned tavern owners. :biggrin:

Now you know why Evo prefers on-line meetings. She's looking for someone with chronic sinusitis or other olfactory challenges before meeting in real life.

turbo-1 said:
Now you know why Evo prefers on-line meetings. She's looking for someone with chronic sinusitis or other olfactory challenges before meeting in real life.
:uhh: Rut Ro, the truth is out.

Moonbear said:
Only if I get to help wash the odorous physicians turned tavern owners. :biggrin:

Ok, but watch the scrub brush down dingly dell.

<h2>1. Why did the plague spread so quickly in Europe in 1347?</h2><p>The plague, also known as the Black Death, spread quickly in Europe due to a combination of factors. One of the main reasons was the lack of knowledge about the disease and how it was transmitted. People did not understand the importance of hygiene and sanitation, which allowed the disease to spread rapidly. Additionally, trade and travel between countries contributed to the spread of the plague as infected rats and fleas were unknowingly transported to new areas.</p><h2>2. What caused the plague to start in 1347?</h2><p>The plague is believed to have originated in Central Asia and was then spread to Europe through trade routes. The Mongol Empire, which had control over much of Asia, had been weakened by the disease and as a result, their trade routes were disrupted. This led to an increase in trade between Europe and Asia, which ultimately brought the plague to Europe in 1347.</p><h2>3. How did the plague affect the population of Europe?</h2><p>The plague had a devastating impact on the population of Europe. It is estimated that between 30-60% of the population died from the disease. This led to a significant decrease in the labor force, causing economic and social turmoil. The loss of skilled workers also had long-term effects on various industries and the economy as a whole.</p><h2>4. Was there a cure for the plague in 1347?</h2><p>At the time, there was no known cure for the plague. Medical knowledge was limited, and people did not understand the cause of the disease. As a result, various ineffective treatments were used, such as bloodletting and herbal remedies. It wasn't until much later, in the 19th century, that antibiotics were discovered and became an effective treatment for the plague.</p><h2>5. How did the plague change society in Europe?</h2><p>The plague had a significant impact on society in Europe. The high death toll led to a breakdown of social order and a decline in religious faith. The labor shortage also resulted in higher wages for workers, leading to a shift in the feudal system. The devastation caused by the plague also led to advancements in medicine and public health as people sought ways to prevent and treat the disease.</p>

1. Why did the plague spread so quickly in Europe in 1347?

The plague, also known as the Black Death, spread quickly in Europe due to a combination of factors. One of the main reasons was the lack of knowledge about the disease and how it was transmitted. People did not understand the importance of hygiene and sanitation, which allowed the disease to spread rapidly. Additionally, trade and travel between countries contributed to the spread of the plague as infected rats and fleas were unknowingly transported to new areas.

2. What caused the plague to start in 1347?

The plague is believed to have originated in Central Asia and was then spread to Europe through trade routes. The Mongol Empire, which had control over much of Asia, had been weakened by the disease and as a result, their trade routes were disrupted. This led to an increase in trade between Europe and Asia, which ultimately brought the plague to Europe in 1347.

3. How did the plague affect the population of Europe?

The plague had a devastating impact on the population of Europe. It is estimated that between 30-60% of the population died from the disease. This led to a significant decrease in the labor force, causing economic and social turmoil. The loss of skilled workers also had long-term effects on various industries and the economy as a whole.

4. Was there a cure for the plague in 1347?

At the time, there was no known cure for the plague. Medical knowledge was limited, and people did not understand the cause of the disease. As a result, various ineffective treatments were used, such as bloodletting and herbal remedies. It wasn't until much later, in the 19th century, that antibiotics were discovered and became an effective treatment for the plague.

5. How did the plague change society in Europe?

The plague had a significant impact on society in Europe. The high death toll led to a breakdown of social order and a decline in religious faith. The labor shortage also resulted in higher wages for workers, leading to a shift in the feudal system. The devastation caused by the plague also led to advancements in medicine and public health as people sought ways to prevent and treat the disease.

Back