Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The point of force application

1. Nov 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello everyone :smile:
    I have got a cylindrical 6 axis force sensor (so I have the force Fx, Fy,Fz and torque Tx, Ty, Tz). Using these data I don’t know how I can find the point of force application.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I try this
    The torque can be defined as the cross product I (Position vector) and F(force)
    Tx,y,z=Ix,y,z ^Fx,y,z
    So, I have 3 equations
    Tx=IyFz-IzFy
    Ty=IzFx-IxFz
    Tz=IxFy-IyFx
    But, when I solve the equation(in order to find Ix, Iy and Iz) , the variables in the equation vanish…

Do you have an idea how find this point.
    Really thanks so much
    Alexandra :shy:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2012 #2
    You can get the lever arms from the force and torque values.

4. Nov 21, 2012 #3
    yes. if you see I try this is in "The attempt at a solution"
    but its not possible fin Ix, Iy and Iz

5. Nov 21, 2012 #4
    Isn't torque r crossproduct F?

6. Nov 21, 2012 #5
    yes I call I the Position vector.. in your case r .. the 2 arethe same..

7. Nov 21, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Insights Author
    Gold Member

You can't expect it to give a specific vector for I. Suppose a solution is force G acting through the point r. Let s be any vector collinear with G. Then a force G acting through the point r+s is also a solution (indeed, the same solution really).
    One way to fix that is to add the equation I.F = 0

8. Nov 22, 2012 #7
    hi.
    if I understand you told me
    Ixyz . Fxyz = 0
    in order to find a colinear vector. ??

9. Nov 22, 2012 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Insights Author
    Gold Member

No, not in order to find a collinear vector; in order to find a perpendicular one.
    Consider a force F acting through some point in an object. You could shift the point of application to anywhere in that same straight line and it would be exactly the same. I.e. a force acts through a line rather than through any specific point of the line. That's why your original equations were not enough to pin down a point.
    Now, any I satisfying your equations would be a perfectly good answer. I merely proposed one way of selecting a specific point from that whole line of valid answers, namely, the point that made the I vector orthogonal to the F vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?