Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Pointless Facts Test

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Brilliant

You scored 70 % in Useless Knowledge!

You know a fair bit of trivial facts. You probably aced that one about the thing with the stuff... You know what I mean. Maybe someday your brain will soak up enough useless knowledge to score higher.

This test tracked 1 variable. How the score compared to the other people's: Higher than 89% on Trivia

I'm really rather disappointed in my score, I was sure I had much more useless knowledge. :frown:

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/18346850026536420419/Pointless-Facts

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2
    Something's fishy. I scored 56%, and still got a 'Brilliant' designation. But it said I was higher than 99%.

4. Oct 15, 2007 #3

Evo

It's based on how you scored against others in your age and gender. Perhaps only one other 105 year old has taken the test. :biggrin:

5. Oct 15, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, with only a few exceptions, once I got past the first page of "easy" warm-up questions, I realized many of the trivia sectors in my brain have been overwritten at some point. :rolleyes:

6. Oct 15, 2007 #5
    31%

The first page was pretty smooth sailing, but after that I was lost!

7. Oct 15, 2007 #6

Evo

Having read several sets of encyclopedias and any book I could get my hands on, not to mention lots of tv, I have been called a "wealth of useless knowledge". Everyone wanted to be my trivial pursuit partner.

8. Oct 15, 2007 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You scored 82 % in Useless Knowledge!

That wasn't too bad apart from the music questions and the superbowl.

9. Oct 15, 2007 #8

Evo

:!!)

10. Oct 15, 2007 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem is when one's useless knowledge isn't useful in trivial pursuit. :frown:

11. Oct 15, 2007 #10

Evo

No Math Trivial Pursuit?

You could always shout out complex math equations at the people playing and intimidate them.

12. Oct 15, 2007 #11

russ_watters

78%. I always knew I was among the more useless here. :biggrin:

13. Oct 15, 2007 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't remember where I first heard it, or who said it (for all I can remember, it could have been someone here), but I've found the phrase catchy, "I'm either a great font of useless knowledge, or a useless font of great knowledge."

14. Oct 15, 2007 #13
    You scored 60 % in Useless Knowledge!

Used logical estimates for the speed/distance to pluto ones. I knew everything on the first page right away. :p

15. Oct 16, 2007 #14
    48%...this is pointless! Yes, those questions related to music stars and superbowl were probably the ones that let me down, too.

Like ddm, I knew the approximate distance to Pluto in AU, so that helped.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  16. Oct 16, 2007 #15
    31% ... eww

... superbowl is football right? :biggrin:

17. Oct 16, 2007 #16

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Metric/imperial conversion is useless knowledge?

18. Oct 16, 2007 #17

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. Everyone knows the metric system sucks.

19. Oct 16, 2007 #18
    I know... having a unit increase by powers of ten?? who created such a counter-intuitive system as the metric system?! ... it's so much simpler to have a unit increase by 12, then 3, then 5280, then 3 o:)

20. Oct 16, 2007 #19

matthyaouw

Gold Member

"My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it!"
    -Abe Simpson

21. Oct 16, 2007 #20
    All this useless knowledge stored in our brains cosntitutes a huge amount of entropy of the universe, as Landauer pointed out in his explenation of why Maxwell's Demon demons cannot be effective on the long run (because sooner or later he has to empty his memory filled with useless information he has used to decide wheter or not to let the molecules go from one side to the other side). :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?