Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Pope has just died

1. Apr 2, 2005 #1

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Pope John Paul II has just died.

As a christian catholic, I am sad today.

He did a lot for peace in world, and for avoiding fights between civilizations.

Today is a day for respect to Church, no matter if we are believers or not. Occident culture is built onto the Christian Church and its tradition. Despites we believe on God or not, despites we believe in another different ways, the great history and background of this institution, besides the great labor of John Paul II for Peace, today it is worth saying:

God bless the Pope.

(Sorry for being too serious).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2005 #2
    Rest In Peace

4. Apr 2, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Even as an ex-Catholic I have no doubt that he does. The Pope was a great and holy man.

5. Apr 2, 2005 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

John Paul II was a good Pope, may he rest in peace.

6. Apr 2, 2005 #5
    John Paul II had the second longest papacy, was the first Polish pope, and the first non-Italian pope in 455 years. He helped greatly to bring down communism in europe and bringing peace in troubled areas. He survived the assassins bullet and was the first pope to visit the Jewish cynagauge in Rome. There is no doubt that he will be loved and remembered for a long time to come. Being the pope for almost 27 years, he has been pope for my whole life, and the only pope for millions of other Catholics like myself. In five days he will be buried, and after about 9 days of mourning, the conclave of cardinals will start, where a new Pope will be elected. There is 117 eligible cardinals as of now. The leader of the church until then will be the carlemango, John Paul II's assistant. Word is going around that the pope may be Latino or African, but only time will tell.

God bless the Pope, and may he rest in peace.

Fibonacci

7. Apr 2, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

He was a man of ideals, and great personal integrity.
    He did not deserve all the pain he has struggled with over the last years.

I hope he found peace and contentment at the end.

8. Apr 2, 2005 #7
    forgive this hindu for butting in ;-), but his papacy was the third longest after Pius IX and St. Peter, but the day I started admiring the guy was when he visited Agca, the person who tried to assasinate him, in prison and forgave him.

9. Apr 2, 2005 #8
    I had a lot of respect for that Pope. He will be missed.

10. Apr 2, 2005 #9
    may god bless his soul

11. Apr 2, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While I have not always agreed with his views on all issues within the church, he has also done many great things. He very much led by example. I don't think one needs to be Catholic to appreciate many of the things he did.

12. Apr 2, 2005 #11

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Although I don't agree with the structure of the Church and its great power and money (directly contrary to what Jesus prayed on Earth), In think the Pope John Paul II has been one (in addition to several modest priests who make active charity in poor countries and societies) of the persons who has made the most for charity and stretching the distances among civilizations (on the contrary there are another oriental religious leaders who are not interested to do so).

I sincerely believe he was a good person, and he was not interested on richness (not like some of its subordinates who travel in Mercedes everytime and do almost nothing for human beings) nor being famous, neither fighting against another threatens of muslim religion whose supporters have been shown several times a dislike to the Catholic Church. He only honestly pursued actively the Peace between men.

I wish the next Pope had the same grade of humanity of J. Paul II.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  13. Apr 2, 2005 #12
    I agree, that was pretty cool.

14. Apr 2, 2005 #13
    Being catholic as well and i do agree fully with the structure of the church, i also followed the news throughout this day. it is indeed a very sad moment. A monument of our time has passed away. Finally his sufferings are over and may he rest in all peace...TOTUS TUUS ERGO SUM...

Thanks Clausius for starting this thread in which we can pay our respects to this great leader...

regards
    marlon

15. Apr 2, 2005 #14
    Indeed and i believe the last non-italian pope before Johannes Paulus Secundum was from The old Flemish regions (now, Belgium and the Netherlands. he was born in the Netherlands and studied at the very same university (of Louvain) where i do my phd, it's a small world isn't it ?)...

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?tocId=9003795

marlon

16. Apr 2, 2005 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

This man was a great man. Whether your of the faith, of a different faith, or of no faith at all, we can all agree that he is possibly one of the greatest modern day leaders.

17. Apr 2, 2005 #16
    Agreed, I am definately not catholic, but I still recognize him as a great man.

18. Apr 2, 2005 #17

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Spot on Moonbear, spot on. It would be interesting to see more church leaders (especially CoE...) actually make a stand about things which matter, rather than piddle about sitting on the fence, even if it means a bit of controversy.

19. Apr 2, 2005 #18
    Rest in peace Karol Wojtyła(Pope John Paul II)!
    No doubt this was a great man.

I know this is not the time and place, but where from you draw this kind of conclusions, I believe from the tv… I’m sure he had such attentions, but realizations … Pope is not the church.

20. Apr 2, 2005 #19
    Indeed, this pope had the audacity and honesty to speak out his opinion no matter what 'the trendy popular short-term opinions' in a certain society were. He was perhaps the only leader of such high moral standard. I am not saying we should all agree on his views, but at least he was honest and not afraid of controversy. I am convinced that most of our current politicians could learn a lot from him. especially most of the leaders in western europe. religion proves to be very important in our society and we should be able to speak out our religious beliefs, even if they conflict with other opinions and religions. I am sure you know what specific religion (that we should question in nature) i am referring to

regards
    marlon

21. Apr 2, 2005 #20
    I am sure you mean Karol Wojtyla

Yes indeed

How about speeding up the entire democratization of eastern europe. How about helping the fight on communism and the stepping down from office of Augusto Pinochet ?

marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?