Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The power of Qubits

1. Oct 29, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I'm having trouble understanding the power of qubits relating to quantum computers. I've read a number of times that the power comes from the fact that instead of simply holding an on or off state (1/0), they can hold both at the same time (superposition). However, when we measure them they 'decide' on a state.

My question is, how can this third state of superposition provide a huge benefit over the 1 and 0 states of transistors, since once we use them (observe them) the states available to us is still only a 1 or a 0?

Many thanks in advance http://www.thephysicsforum.com/images/smilies/smile.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2015 #2
  4. Oct 29, 2015 #3
    I'm looking at lecture 9 and there are many gaps. Maybe he's giving a slide show and the slides are not included.

5. Oct 29, 2015 #4

Strilanc

Science Advisor

Quantum computers are not ternary computers. Qubits are not just bits with a third state.

A qubit is a 2-level quantum system that can store states like ##a \left|0\right\rangle + b \left|1\right\rangle## where ##a^2 + b^2 = 1##.

Put ##n## qubits together, and you get a ##2^n##-level quantum system. For example, 3 qubits can store states like ##a \left|000\right\rangle + b \left|001\right\rangle + c \left|010\right\rangle + d \left|011\right\rangle + e \left|100\right\rangle + f \left|101\right\rangle + g \left|110\right\rangle + h \left|111\right\rangle## where ##a^2 + b^2 + c^2 + d^2 + e^2 + f^2 + g^2 + h^2 = 1##.

In other words, quantum computers can store a linear combination of the classical states. But the weights of the linear combination are not probabilities, which would have to satisfy ##a + b + ... + h = 1##, they are the square roots of probabilities and must satisfy ##a^2 + b^2 + ... + h^2 = 1##.

Everything else flows from that square-root-of-probability thing. Operations correspond to complex orthonormal matrices. Destructive interference is possible. Copying doesn't quite work. Everything is reversible. Entanglement is a thing. Etc.

6. Oct 29, 2015 #5
    Do you mean that you don't see any figures or formulas?

7. Oct 29, 2015 #6
    I see

ask me to
    exp
    the Bell inequality to them

BUT when I copy this from the lecture notes and paste here, it comes out correctly!

ask me to explain the Bell inequality to them.

So I can paste the entire lecture to a Physics Forums reply box and read it that way. Golly. Well, whatever works, works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook