Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Power of the Vice President

1. Oct 3, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/02/debate.transcript/

I agree 100% with Biden. Also, Cheney should probably be in jail.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2
    Maybe if a new party gets power, he will be?

4. Oct 3, 2008 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

This is the power that Cheney sought to expand and so too apparently does Palin.
    Gosh. And she doesn't even have to be there either.

5. Oct 4, 2008 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The pundits dismissed this as Palin rambling. Was it? She was pretty explicit.

Has Palin announced her intention to subvert the Constitution, as Bush and Cheney have done. If so, she is by defintion an enemy of the United States. If not, then her recklessness is staggering.

Her husband was involved with that group in Alaska that wanted to secede from the Union. Maybe neither one of them support the Constitution. Is she more interested in power than the rule of law? Based on Palin's statement, so it would seem.

Is this done with McCain's blessing? Has the old boy decided that he knows what's best and it can't be left to that pesky document?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  6. Oct 4, 2008 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

No I think she's not against it so much as not understanding it. I think in her warped view, being spoon fed by the Cheney drones, that she fundamentally doesn't understand the dynamics of the Constitution and is fantasizing about some vain-glorious role for herself in an Administration that she will only ever be able to dream about until being sent back to Alaska a loser November 4.

7. Oct 4, 2008 #6
    I seem to recall that Lyndon Johnson, Walter Mondale and Al Gore all really knew their way around the Hill...might've even encouraged a few votes...here and there along the way?

No argument that Cheney was influential, Agnew (real crook), Ford, and Bush 1, as well. No shrinking violets in that group either.

Plus, I'm sure Biden knows more about Senate protocol than Palin...you know...how things are SUPPOSED TO BE...how things are done...he's certainly been part of (IT) for a long time?

As for Palin and a Constitutional conspiracy(?)...WOW! I'm speechless.

And to think I've been worried about Obama...not knowing much about his experience and affiliations and all? But since the debate, Biden has certainly addressed that concern...if (God forbid) something happened to Obama...Biden assured us he wouldn't do ANYTHING different than Obama has specified...WOW, again. There you go Joe...

8. Oct 4, 2008 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not suggesting a conspiracy so much as a reckless disregard, as we have seen for the last six or seven years. Edit: But subversion is subversion. The law doesn't make dinstictions based on motive. The enemy is the enemy and THAT is clearly defined. Every soldier and politician swears to defend the Constitution.

In fact, I don't even have to suggest it. She has already demonstrated that much [a reckless disregard]. The question is: How deep does it go? She did belabor the point. And after what we have seen, I am amazed by almost nothing anymore.

Has McCain corrected her statements? Has he renounced her stated intentions?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  9. Oct 4, 2008 #8

10. Oct 4, 2008 #9

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Sure he has the power to do that but without any active investigation against him it would surely raise concerns that there might be something worth investigating.

Moreover, once he receives a Pardon, he has no power to invoke the 5th Amendment against self incrimination and can be compelled to answer all manner of questions against others.

Granting a Pardon is a careful what you wish for kind of thing.

11. Oct 4, 2008 #10
    Why is it you never hear or see a peep out of cheney?

Seriously. When was the last time you saw the guy on tv, or anything about him at all?

12. Oct 4, 2008 #11
    He's the fattest, whitest Ninja in history.

Well... besides Chris Farley, that is.

13. Oct 4, 2008 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?