Coffee Shopping: Price, Quality, and Oregon Standards

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary: Trader Joe's is really that good?I've only tried their single origin beans, and they're really good.In summary, coffee is generally expensive, but there are some cheaper options. Coffee is also generally good, but there are some better options.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What coffee do you buy and what do you pay for it?

We used to drink Millstone's French Roast, but when we started paying $1 per ounce at Safeway, I'd had enough. I think they kept shrinking their bags and we never noticed. The next thing I knew, a 10 oz bag was ~$10! It's good but not THAT good.

I can buy a 2lb can of Yuban's dark roast for about $9. It's a lot better than most regular brands but is still so so. I'm been thinking about shopping online but I may be wasting my time. Is $1 per oz high for specialty coffees?

I know I can buy the generic stuff for a lot less but I do have my limits! After all, I live in Oregon. We have standards to maintain.

Physics news on Phys.org
I pay $2.00 per grande sized cup. Is it too much?

I typically drink medium roasts. I like a local roaster here in Houston called Duncan.

http://duncancoffee.com/

Most of their blends are around $9-10 per lb plus shipping. They sent me a card with my first order for a discount of 10% or so. It ends up at $12-15 per lb which is still just under $1/oz.

I, too, get from a local. I went to the opening of the store and paid $6 a lb for special roasts.

Before that we buy the Folgers vanilla biscotti from the grocery storevwhen it's on sale.

We get either Green Mountain or Peet's, whichever is on sale, for around $6 for a 12 oz bag. Every now and then there is a bag that is arbitrarily fantastic; otherwise, they are both usually "pretty good."

Beaumont Coffee
Classic Roast (medium)
33.9 oz for $5.98
17.6¢ per oz

I place more standard on the beer and ales I drink then the coffee.
I probably drink more tea then coffee though.

Brewing beer myself, I have figured 5 gallons of my pale ale comes to $9.46/5 gallons, not including cost of water and propane.
So maybe $11.00/5 gallons.
$11.00/640 fl oz=1.7¢ per fl oz or 20.6¢ per 12oz bottle.

Twinings English Breakfast Tea
Medium tea strength
20 bags, 1.41oz for $2.79
$1.97 per oz
Good with milk and sugar, proper british style.

Last edited:
I like Chock Full o' Nuts New York dark roast. It's pretty inexpensive and it teams up well with my espresso maker.

~$5.60/lb in the 28 oz can. Cheap.

Last edited:
I buy Gevalia and blend it with a a somewhat less expensive coffee bought at the local market. The Gevalia is $14.50 per pound and very good. The other coffee is $11.00 per pound. The prices feel high, but (estimating tax and shipping) it comes out to about fifty cents a cup. The savings over any brewed cup I could buy is very pleasing.

I buy whatever is on sale, Maxwell House or Folger's, usually $6 for 29.2 ounces. If I drank it black like I used to, I'd go for something better, but since I'm hooked on flavored creamers, it doesn't matter that much.

Evo said:
I buy whatever is on sale, Maxwell House or Folger's, usually $6 for 29.2 ounces.
Same here.
If I drank it black like I used to, I'd go for something better, but since I'm hooked on flavored creamers, it doesn't matter that much.
I drink coffee with cream/milk, or black if I don't have cream. If I have coffee or vanilla flavored ice cream, then I'll pour the coffee over a large tblsp of ice cream, and may be add honey. Sometimes I add nutmeg to my coffee.

I used drink Seaport coffee, which is pretty strong. I prefer strong coffee - as it is made in EU or ME.

One kg (2.2 lbs) Cafe Espresso d'Italia (beans) for 5.49 Euro at 'het Kruidvat', You can google that.

Millstone Columbian. I buy the beans and grind them just prior to brewing.

I think it's $7 something per pound at the military commisary, but I was shocked when I had to buy some at the local King Super for around $9.80 something. I'd still buy it even at that price. I like my coffee.

The cheapest *good* coffee around here is Trader Joe's, I think. Two pounds for about $12 to $14.

Really good coffee is one of life's pleasures o:).

BobG said:
Millstone Columbian. I buy the beans and grind them just prior to brewing.

I think it's $7 something per pound at the military commisary, but I was shocked when I had to buy some at the local King Super for around $9.80 something. I'd still buy it even at that price. I like my coffee.

Are you sure those are 1 Lb bags for $9.80? The bags at Safeway are only 10.2 ounces!

Evo said:
I buy whatever is on sale, Maxwell House or Folger's, usually $6 for 29.2 ounces. If I drank it black like I used to, I'd go for something better, but since I'm hooked on flavored creamers, it doesn't matter that much.

I have a customer that complains if I buy the cheap coffee. What more proof does one need for a qualified tax deduction! I guess I should get his complaint in writing. :rofl:

He always goes to high-end coffee houses and he's from Vancouver, so he has some serious coffee attitude.

[PLAIN]http://www.biffscoffee.com/images/biffs_logo_thing.png [Broken]

Classic House Blend. 12oz for less than $7.

http://www.biffscoffee.com/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I have to take it decaf, and I don't have a lot of time in the AM, I usually just do Folger's Instant Decaf with a flavored creamer.

My wife, however, likes http://www.sleepymonkcoffee.com/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the different types of coffee and their price range?

There are various types of coffee such as Arabica, Robusta, and specialty blends. The price range of coffee depends on factors like the type of coffee, origin, and roasting process. On average, a pound of coffee can range from $10 to $30.

2. How does the quality of coffee affect its price?

The quality of coffee is directly related to its price. Higher quality coffee beans are often more expensive due to factors like the growing conditions, harvesting methods, and roasting techniques. Specialty coffees are known for their higher quality and therefore tend to be more expensive than regular blends.

3. What are the Oregon standards for coffee?

The Oregon Department of Agriculture has standards for coffee that ensure it is safe and meets certain quality requirements. These standards include testing for contaminants, such as pesticides and heavy metals, as well as grading the coffee based on factors like moisture content and bean size.

4. How can I ensure I am purchasing high-quality coffee?

To ensure you are purchasing high-quality coffee, look for certifications such as Fair Trade, Rainforest Alliance, or Organic. These certifications indicate that the coffee has been produced using ethical and sustainable practices. Additionally, buying directly from a reputable roaster or coffee shop can also ensure you are getting a quality product.

5. What factors should I consider when buying coffee?

When buying coffee, consider factors such as your personal taste preferences, the origin of the coffee, the roasting method, and any certifications or quality standards. It is also important to consider the price and whether it fits within your budget. Ultimately, the best coffee for you will depend on your individual preferences and priorities.