Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The price of disposable razors

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! I bought what I thought was sixteen blades, for $28. But instead of four cartridges having four blades each, there were only two cartridges. The rest of the bulk was wasteful packaging.

That is about $3.50 for each blade. Incredible!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2010 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't know!

4. Mar 7, 2010 #3
    It is a lot more work and takes some practice, but a straight razor is a lot less wasteful, can save money, and gives a better shave once you get good at it.

5. Mar 7, 2010 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can also slit your throat. :biggrin:

Is it even possible anymore to get the old style single-blade safety razors? I remember getting a pack of 10 blades for something like a buck or two. Granted, that was a long time ago, but inflation can't account for that big of a difference.

ZZ Top is [are] looking better every day.

6. Mar 7, 2010 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is why tramps have beards (no offence, Integral). :smile:

7. Mar 7, 2010 #6
    That's surprising. I thought the ministry of plenty had said that due to a surplus in production, the razor ration would be tripled.

8. Mar 7, 2010 #7
  9. Mar 7, 2010 #8
    I got 15 single blade disposable razors for like 2 dollars at Wal-Mart. I use each one like 6 times and I only shave about once a week.

10. Mar 7, 2010 #9
    Do you have a Gillette Fusion? They rape you on replacement blades, but you can get whole boxes on ebay for the cheap! Something like 100 packages for 50 bucks

11. Mar 7, 2010 #10

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not something that I worry about. :biggrin:

Nor shaving cream.

12. Mar 7, 2010 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I am in full agreement. The price of replacement blades is tantamount to highway robbery.

And to add insult to injury, your razor will go obsolete in a year, and blades will no longer be available. You wil be forced to buy a new razor and forced to buy their new blades.

13. Mar 7, 2010 #12
    Can't you get them from Dollar Store? or 50 cents Store?

14. Mar 7, 2010 #13

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Likewise with printer ink cartridges. I recently bought a new Canon MP560 combination inkjet printer / scanner / copier for about $100. It came with a set of ink cartridges, of course. To prepare myself for when those run out, I ordered another set from amazon.com... for about $54. Either the printer is actually worth $46, or the cost of the cartridges contains a subsidy for the price of the printer. I suspect the latter.

It's a very nice printer for light-duty use such as I have at home, by the way. It runs rings around my old HP Deskjet and Canon flatbed scanner that I bought about ten years ago for $200 and $150 respectively. And it has wireless connectivity which neither of the old units had.

15. Mar 7, 2010 #14
    Absolutely NOT. I bought a pack of razors from a dollar store once before I started using a straight razor. Absolutely terrible. You get what you pay for. The blades were not sharp at all and I was almost crying while trying to shave with them because the blades would simply pull at each individual hair on my face rather than cut it.

16. Mar 7, 2010 #15
    Black ones work perfect for me. Blue ones don't. (I don't know their names but just remember them by color). For 1$, I get 1 razor and 5 blades.

17. Mar 7, 2010 #16

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Easy fix

255,255,255&wid=327&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg.jpg

18. Mar 7, 2010 #17

edward

Gold Member

I usually buy blades at Costco. They are still too blasted expensive considering how cheap they are to manufacture.

I went into a Walgreen's the other day to pick up a prescription. While I was there I decided to buy a small carton of blades to tide me over.

They blades were kept in a locked cabinet and I had to find a clerk to open it.:rolleyes:

19. Mar 7, 2010 #18
    Do you get a close shave with that? I've only ever used electric razors for a quick touch up, but I would like to own one if you can get a close shave with it.

20. Mar 7, 2010 #19

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Works good for me.

21. Mar 7, 2010 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't use electric razors. For some reason they just don't get along with my face. It is almost impossible to get a clean shave.

I have been using the Gillette Atra for decades. I hate to use the disposable types where the entire handle and blade are discarded, but maybe that't all that's left. No way will I continue to pay $3.50 per blade. As Dave mentioned, that IS highway robbery.

Hypatia, have you tried those? Note the complaints about "pulling hair". I too have used cheap ones that left my face feeling like a piece of hamburger. [I assume that legs and pits are just as tender as faces when it comes to shaving]

What I was thinking of was the old metal handle and blade holder that took a simple two-edge razor blade. Those were the standard when I was young and they had very little throw-away material. I don't think I've seen one like that for at least 20 years.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook