1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Principles of Magnetism

1. May 26, 2008 #1
    Hi, I have a research question focusing on the historical development of the telephone. However, I have to write it with emphasis it's dependence principles of magnetism. So far, I have not found anything to relate the two topics. I also must include

1. a reference to at least one person who contributed to the development of the telephone

2. a description of the general scientific principles upon which the operation of the telephone designed by the person in number 1, is based.

3. a direct description of how the person in question 1 used the principles related to magnetic fields in their design.

So far, I have only found either one topic, or the other. I have no idea where to look for a person who used this principle to develop the telephone. Could someone help me out? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2008 #2
    I found the following on Wikipedia (article about Telephone):

4. May 26, 2008 #3
    There is so much documentation out there about this primarily because of the telephones importance.
    Magnetism plays a critical role in the telephone, try wikipedia for invention of telephone.

5. May 26, 2008 #4
    But isn't wikepedia not a valid source of information? Seeing as how other people write the articles, which could contain false information.

6. May 26, 2008 #5
    Thats a fair point to make but out of my own personal experience I have never come across anything wrong on wikipedia. Even though everyone can edit it, it still has standards, if mistakes are made they will be corrected.

7. May 27, 2008 #6
    Even if Wikipedia can sometimes state mistakes, you can still use it to look up information. If you need exact, detailed information about a certain subject (like the invention of the telephone) there are probably better sources available, which you might also be able to find through Wikipedia.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?