The Principles of Magnetism

• Thread starter troubleinphys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, the conversation revolves around a research question on the historical development of the telephone and its dependence on principles of magnetism. The individual is struggling to find a connection between the two topics and is seeking help to find a person who used magnetic principles in their design of the telephone. They mention finding information on Alexander Bell's patent for an electromagnetic telephone and question the reliability of using Wikipedia as a source. The conversation ends with the suggestion to use Wikipedia as a starting point for further research.
troubleinphys
Hi, I have a research question focusing on the historical development of the telephone. However, I have to write it with emphasis it's dependence principles of magnetism. So far, I have not found anything to relate the two topics. I also must include

1. a reference to at least one person who contributed to the development of the telephone

2. a description of the general scientific principles upon which the operation of the telephone designed by the person in number 1, is based.

3. a direct description of how the person in question 1 used the principles related to magnetic fields in their design.

So far, I have only found either one topic, or the other. I have no idea where to look for a person who used this principle to develop the telephone. Could someone help me out? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I found the following on Wikipedia (article about Telephone):

14 February 1876 — Alexander Bell applies for the patent "Improvements in Telegraphy", for electromagnetic telephones using undulating currents.

30 January 1877 — Bell's U.S. patent 186,787 is granted for an electromagnetic telephone using permanent magnets, iron diaphragms, and a call bell.

troubleinphys said:
So far, I have not found anything to relate the two topics.

There is so much documentation out there about this primarily because of the telephones importance.
Magnetism plays a critical role in the telephone, try wikipedia for invention of telephone.

But isn't wikepedia not a valid source of information? Seeing as how other people write the articles, which could contain false information.

Thats a fair point to make but out of my own personal experience I have never come across anything wrong on wikipedia. Even though everyone can edit it, it still has standards, if mistakes are made they will be corrected.

Even if Wikipedia can sometimes state mistakes, you can still use it to look up information. If you need exact, detailed information about a certain subject (like the invention of the telephone) there are probably better sources available, which you might also be able to find through Wikipedia.

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a force that causes materials to attract or repel each other. It is a fundamental property of matter and is caused by the movement of electric charges.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field around them. This magnetic field is produced by the alignment of the magnetic dipoles (tiny magnets) within the material. When two magnets are brought close together, their magnetic fields interact and either attract or repel each other.

3. What are the two types of magnets?

The two types of magnets are permanent magnets and electromagnets. Permanent magnets are made of materials that are always magnetic, while electromagnets are made by passing an electric current through a coil of wire.

4. How can magnets be used?

Magnets have many practical applications, such as in motors, generators, speakers, hard drives, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They are also used in everyday items like refrigerator magnets, credit cards, and magnetic toys.

5. How can I demagnetize a magnet?

Magnets can be demagnetized by heating them above a certain temperature (called the Curie temperature), dropping or striking them, or by exposing them to a strong magnetic field in the opposite direction of their own magnetic field. However, some materials, like iron, can retain some magnetism even after being demagnetized.