Welcome back, G01! How has PF changed since you last logged on?

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
In summary, G01 has returned and we are all excited to have him back. He has accomplished a lot and we are looking forward to hearing about his new post-doc position and his future plans on PF.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
EDIT: Removed ambiguous pronouns.

Wow has this place changed!

This almost feels like a new member introduction, given I've been away for several years! The old timers around these parts remember me I'm sure, or at least I hope! I'm G01. Hi. Nice to meet all of the new people. I wonder how many of the old timers are still around? Is Evo here? How about Tiny-Tim (:oldwink:)? Astronuc? Zapperz? I know Greg is still around.

I guess I should start by apologizing for disappearing off the face of the internet a few years ago. I became friends with many of the people who posted here. I assure you all: dissappearing was not intentional! One thing lead to another and my dissertation slowly consumed my entire existence. However, I am now done! I've defended and officially graduated. I'm starting in a great post-doc position in 6 weeks. It's surreal. I started here on PF as a high school physics student in 2005 and now here I am with a PhD! If this sounds like bragging, sorry! I'm posting not to brag (ok, maybe a little bragging) but to say thank you to the forum and to everyone here who helped me along the way. PF has been a great resource and community to me over the past decade (!), and I hope to be an active PF member again, at least on some level.

Anyway, I don't know what else to say right now except thank you and that I hope everyone has been well. I'll keep and eye on this thread, but these days I limit my internet time considerably. I'm also traveling and visiting friends. So, if I don't respond immediately, don't worry. I haven't disappeared again!

Best Wishes,
G01

Last edited:
Likes Ryan_m_b, Evo, Borek and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome home, G01. Congratulations on completing your doctoral program.

May your travels be pleasant and safe.

Drop in now and then. Most old-timers are still around.

It's good to have you back, welcome! You aren't a fry-head anymore :biggrin:!

Your story is inspiring. I hope you become a regular again!

G01 said:
Wow has this place changed!

This almost feels like a new member introduction, given I've been away for several years! The old timers around these parts remember me I'm sure, or at least I hope! I'm G01. Hi. Nice to meet all of the new people. I wonder how many of the old timers are still around? Is Evo here? How about Tiny-Tim (:oldwink:)? Astronuc? Zapperz? I know Greg is still around.

I'm still around, only I've retired from being a Mentor and am now collecting PF Social Security checks. :)

I guess I should start by apologizing for disappearing off the face of the internet a few years ago. I became friends with many of the people who posted here and I assure you all: it was not intentional!

Er... read that again. You didn't intend to become friends with many of us here? Well then! :H :biggrin:

One thing lead to another and my dissertation slowly consumed my entire existence. However, I am now done! I've defended and officially graduated. I'm starting in a great post-doc position in 6 weeks. It's surreal. I started here on PF as a high school physics student in 2005 and now here I am with a PhD! If this sounds like bragging, sorry! I'm posting not to brag (ok, maybe a little bragging) but to say thank you to the forum and to everyone here who helped me along the way. PF has been a great resource and community to me over the past decade (!), and I hope to be an active PF member again, at least on some level.

Anyway, I don't know what else to say right now except thank you and that I hope everyone has been well. I'll keep and eye on this thread, but these days I limit my internet time considerably. I'm also traveling and visiting friends. So, if I don't respond immediately, don't worry. I haven't disappeared again!

Best Wishes,
G01

Then congratulations are definitely in order. But now that you are one of our "experts", you need to pull your weight here. So get to work!

Zz.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Welcome back G01! I absolutely love these success stories! Do stick around now :)

Did you see our new blog?
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/

Very cool! There are so many new things going on!

ZapperZ said:
Er... read that again. You didn't intend to become friends with many of us here? Well then! :H :biggrin:

OK! I removed the unfortunate ambiguous pronouns! You knew what I meant! :biggrin:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
G01! My favorite french fries, but, but, you are fries no longer...

:bow: Congratulations Dr G01! I am SO happy to see you again! <sniff> GIVE ME A BIG HUG! :oldbiggrin:

Evo said:
G01! My favorite french fries, but, but, you are fries no longer...

:bow: Congratulations Dr G01! I am SO happy to see you again! <sniff> GIVE ME A BIG HUG! :oldbiggrin:

Thanks! *HUG*

Yeah, I've decided to move away from the Fry look. I decided it's time for something new. Hope you have been well Evo!

G01 said:
Thanks! *HUG*

Yeah, I've decided to move away from the Fry look. I decided it's time for something new. Hope you have been well Evo!
I remember when you came back some time ago and wrote such a touching post about how you felt PF had contributed to your success. If that was a dream, just say "Oh yeah!"

So, can I ask what you PhD is in?

Evo said:
I remember when you came back some time ago and wrote such a touching post about how you felt PF had contributed to your success. If that was a dream, just say "Oh yeah!"

So, can I ask what you PhD is in?

Oh Yeah! :biggrin:

But seriously: That wasn't a dream. I remember that post. I need to stop disappearing and reappearing!

My PhD is in physics. My work is in far-IR materials spectroscopy and optical engineering. My PhD focus was mostly experimental though a significant portion of my thesis involved finite element electromagnetics simulations as well.

Last edited:
G01 said:
Oh Yeah! :biggrin:

But seriously: That wasn't a dream. I remember that post. I need to stop disappearing and reappearing!

My PhD is in physics. My work is in far-IR materials spectroscopy and optical engineering. My PhD focus was mostly experimental though a significant portion of my thesis involved finite element electromagnetics simulations as well.
Do join us in chat on Sunday CST time -- it would nice to formally meet you. I don't believe we have crossed paths before.

(EDIT: Actually, seeing you are a gold member you can join chat anytime!)

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
StevieTNZ said:
Do join us in chat on Sunday CST time -- it would nice to formally meet you. I don't believe we have crossed paths before.

(EDIT: Actually, seeing you are a gold member you can join chat anytime!)

There is now chat...anytime? :oldeek:

Congratulations on the PhD! I remember you when you were just a small fry. :oldtongue:

G01.jpg

Likes lisab

1. What is "Welcome Back G01!"?

"Welcome Back G01!" is a phrase often used to greet someone who has returned to a group, team, or organization after being away for a period of time.

2. Why is "Welcome Back G01!" important?

"Welcome Back G01!" is important because it helps to make the person feel welcomed and valued, and it also acknowledges their absence and shows that they were missed.

3. How do people typically respond to "Welcome Back G01!"?

People typically respond positively to "Welcome Back G01!". They may say "Thank you" or "It's good to be back" or simply smile in response.

4. Is "Welcome Back G01!" used in all cultures?

No, "Welcome Back G01!" may not be used in all cultures. Some cultures may have different ways of welcoming someone back, such as a specific greeting or gesture.

5. Can "Welcome Back G01!" be used in a professional setting?

Yes, "Welcome Back G01!" can be used in a professional setting as a way to acknowledge and welcome a colleague or team member back to work after being away.