Solving for C: Different Ways to Label Vertices of a Rectangle

In summary, there are 24 possible 3-digit numbers that can be formed using the digits 2,3,4,5, and 6.
L²Cc

Homework Statement

It is decided to label the vertices of a rectangle with the letters A, B, C and D.

In how many ways is this possible if:
a) they are to be in clockwise alphabetical order
b) they are to be in alphabetical order
c) they are to be in random order

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I solve for c? What is the logic behind C?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've done (a) and (b)? For (c), label the vertices 1, 2, 3, 4. How many different choices of A, B, C, and D are there for vertex 1? After you have done that, how many choices are there for vertex 2? Once 1 and 2 are labled, how many choices are there for vertex 3? Finally, how many for vertex 4? Now use the "Product Principle".

O right ok, thank you once again hallsofivy

I`m now struggling with the same problem . Can you pls show working for part a and b as well ? As the principle product stated , so the answer for a must be 8 but in the answer key it's 4 ? Can you explain why ?

Then you are using the principle wrong. The "product principle" (also called the "fundamental principle of counting") says if there are n ways of doing one thing and b ways of doing another there are nm ways of doing both. In (a) you are required to label the vertices clockwise. Okay, how many choices do you have for vertex "A"? Now, you have NO MORE CHOICES! After you have chosen where to put the "A", the vertex clockwise from "A" MUST be labeled "B" and so on. The difference between (a) and (b) is that in (b), after you have chosen which vertex to label "A", you still have to choose whether to go clockwise or counterclockwise.

I can see it quite easily in my mind but like the theory to get it seems quite complex . According to the concept of the product of principle . So there are 4 ways to label A , either is B,C,R . Then isn't it supposed to be 4 x 4 x 4 x 4 ?

^^ I actually just got it myself . If we think geometrically like for clockwise u can have 4 choices for labeling the first vertex then for the next 3 vertexes u can only have one choice for each . Therefore it's 4 for a , 8 for b and for c . I have 4 choices for vertex A , 3 for vertex B and 2 For C , 1 For D ==> 24 . Correct compared with the answer key .
Can you help me with the next question
How many 3-digit numbers can be formed using the digits 2,3,4,5 and 6 (a) as often as desired . (b) once only ?

And can you explain why I have 42 for this question :In how many different ways can the top two positions be filled in a table tennis competition of 7 teams ? I got 42 because i take 7 x 6 ( i got this way of solution when learn about permutation but still haven't got why is it 7 x 6 ? )

What is the purpose of solving for C in a rectangle?

The letter C in a rectangle represents the length of its diagonal, which can be useful in solving for other properties such as area or perimeter.

How can we label the vertices of a rectangle?

There are multiple ways to label the vertices of a rectangle, including using numbers, letters, or symbols such as A, B, C, D.

What is the formula for solving for C in a rectangle?

The formula for solving for C in a rectangle is the Pythagorean theorem: C² = A² + B², where A and B are the lengths of the sides of the rectangle.

What are the different ways to represent the sides of a rectangle?

The sides of a rectangle can be represented as length and width, base and height, or any other two perpendicular measurements of the rectangle.

Can we solve for C if we only know the length and width of a rectangle?

Yes, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to solve for C even if only the length and width of the rectangle are known. However, it is important to note that the length and width must be the two sides that form a right angle in order for the formula to work.