The prospects of physics

• Thread starter af394
  • Start date
af394
I just wanna know the future prospects of every field of physics.Who can offer me an introduction?

Answers and Replies

Doc Al
Mentor
As Max Planck's physics teacher supposedly told him (c. 1880):
Physics is finished, young man. It's a dead-end street.​
:wink:

I just wanna know the future prospects of every field of physics.Who can offer me an introduction?
As an old engineer, I am biased, but if it is advice you're looking for, I would say learn as much physics as you can then apply it in the field of engineering. We get paid more than the researchers, but I imagine they have more fun :smile:

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm going into condensed matter physics, and like to try to turn others onto the field. There is a lot of research, theoretical, experimental, and applied, going on in CM. Also CM has a good amount of funding, but also has more competition for the money.

There is a lot of interesting new research going on in condensed matter. High temperature superconductors, quantum computing, and Bose-Einstein condensates are just a few of the topics being studied by CM research groups out there.

af394
DOC AI,I guess what you mean is that,physics seems to be finished,but actually we have much to do in the field.Right?

djeitnstine
Gold Member
DOC AI,I guess what you mean is that,physics seems to be finished,but actually we have much to do in the field.Right?
All that's left in physics is stamp collecting

Pengwuino
Gold Member
It's a joke. Throughout history, physicists always thought that they were juuuuust about to figure out everything there is to know about physics and then something ground-breaking occurs that throws what we thought we knew about physics into question and eventually entire new fields and theories come into play.