Is the Pythagorean Theorem Applied to Determine the Length of AB?

In summary, the conversation is discussing finding the length of side AB in a given image and the confusion surrounding the calculation. The final solution involves using the distance formula and simplifying the calculation by choosing appropriate axes. The final answer is 6.
Ismael Nunez
Anyone want to take a crack at it? My class has been discussing it: Find the length of AB:http://t4.rbxcdn.com/84e25f3830d66e6bbaeaba48e35c0781

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Six.

Misha Kuznetsov said:
Six.
Will you please elaborate?

6?

Jerry Friedman said:
6?
Ok, great, but how did you get there?

I am probably wrong, but I got sqrt(34).

Find the coordinates of point A and use the distance formula to get AB. There are pleasant cancellations.

I just found the hypotenuse of a triangle with legs 4+sqrt(2) and 4-sqrt(2).

Likes SammyS
Jerry Friedman said:
Find the coordinates of point A and use the distance formula to get AB. There are pleasant cancellations.
I did, and I still got sqrt(34)... One question though, the square at the top left corner... If split vertically, to get 4 triangles, wouldn't the legs of one of those triangles be one?

No, each leg would be sqrt(2) .

Misha Kuznetsov said:
No, each leg would be sqrt(2) .
Alright, I see my mistake, I checked my work again. Thanks.

Yep, no problem. :smile:

Likes Ismael Nunez
First, we choose the axes so as to simplify our calculation. Let us drop a perpendicular from A to the base and consider the the y-axis.

The location of A is (0, 4 +√²) and B is (4 - √2, 0)
Distance is √x²+y²

As we know, (a - b)² + (a + b)² = 2( a² + b²)

Which here is 2( 16 +2) = 36, the square root of it is 6.

I'm sorry if I skipped some steps. It's very difficult to type in mathematical notation.

Was it given that the figures with sides 2 and 4 are squares?

If so, 6.

Last edited:

What is the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a mathematical principle that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

Who is credited with discovering the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is named after the ancient Greek mathematician Pythagoras, although there is evidence that it was known and used by other civilizations prior to him.

How is the Pythagorean Theorem used in real life?

The Pythagorean Theorem has many practical applications, such as in construction, navigation, and engineering. It can be used to calculate distances, heights, and angles in various situations.

Can the Pythagorean Theorem be used in non-right triangles?

No, the Pythagorean Theorem only applies to right triangles, where one of the angles is a perfect 90 degrees.

What is the formula for the Pythagorean Theorem?

The formula for the Pythagorean Theorem is a^2 + b^2 = c^2, where a and b are the lengths of the two shorter sides (legs) of a right triangle, and c is the length of the hypotenuse.