The Quadratic Equation Process, is this wrong?

In summary, Daniel found a mistake on a website that he was trying to solve quadratic equations. He was able to find the mistake and fix it.
mathzeroh
Hellooooo everybody. i have a very distinct feeling that there's something very wrong here...

OK, what I'm trying to do is to get to the quadratic equation through the standard form of a polynomial equation in the second degree. :smile:

watch this, and go to this website. it lists the process very briefly http://mathworld.wolfram.com/QuadraticEquation.html...in this picture http://mathworld.wolfram.com/qimg558.gif isn't it wrong to put the x+b/2a inside the parenthesis with the WHOLE thing raised to the second power?? i mean doesn't that mean that the WHOLE THING INCLUDING the 'x' gets squared?? that's wrong! aha! that's wrong! i knew it! i knew it! :biggrin: :biggrin: Nah I'm just kidding there but i really do want to know if that's a typo or not. I think that when completing the square, you should only raise the "b" term in (the standard form) to the second power. like this:

[tex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/tex]

[tex](\frac{b}{2})^2[/tex]

subtract the 'c' and bring it over to the other side, then complete the square:
[tex]ax^2+bx+(\frac{b}{2})^2=-c+(\frac{b}{2})^2[/tex]

is this right, as opposed to the ones shown on that website? :uhh: :uhh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The site is right, but I'm not sure what you're trying to do. What is your next step?

I'm sure what's on that site is not wrong.How about u finish your calculations...?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I'm sure what's on that site is not wrong.How about u finish your calculations...?

Daniel.

Hey, how's it going? :smile: I'm going to go do that, i'll get back at you all. :biggrin:

okay guys I am in a pot-hole. :confused: :confused:

here's my work:

[tex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/tex]

[tex]ax^2+bx+(\frac{b}{2})^2=-c+(\frac{b}{2})^2[/tex]

[tex]ax^2+bx+(\frac{b^2}{4})=-c+(\frac{b^2}{4})[/tex]

[tex]\left(x-\frac{b}{2a}\right)^2=\left(\frac{-c+\frac{b^2}{4}}{a}\right)[/tex]

Then i took the square root of both sides and got this:

(x-(b/2a))=\sqrt(-c+(b^2/4)/ \sqrt(a)

then i did that thing where you can't have a square root on the bottom (forgot what its called), and to do that, i multiplied the top and bottom of the right side of the equation with the square root of a over the square root of a (1 in essence).

then it wasn't looking like it was going in the right direction...help. :uhh: :uhh: :frown:

After you implicity divided by a between the last two (latex) steps, you no longer had a perfect square on the left. You need that last term to be b^2/4a^2. That's why they divided by a first. Once you correct that, your method becomes identical to theirs.

Do you agree that the RHS of your last equation (written in tex) can be written
[tex] \frac{b^{2}-4ac}{4a} [/tex]

Now extract square root...

Daniel.

P.S.Yes,an "a" is missing in the numerator...

StatusX said:
After you implicity divided by a between the last two (latex) steps, you no longer had a perfect square on the left. You need that last term to be b^2/4a^2. That's why they divided by a first. Once you correct that, your method becomes identical to theirs.
i looked and looked and looked at it, but it didn't click.

how on Earth did they go from here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/qimg557.gif

to here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/qimg558.gif

what happened to the x in the left in the second step?? i mean, it was, (b/a)x :confused: :confused: :confused:

expand the squared term and you'll see

mathzeroh said:
i looked and looked and looked at it, but it didn't click.

how on Earth did they go from here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/qimg557.gif

to here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/qimg558.gif

what happened to the x in the left in the second step?? i mean, it was, (b/a)x :confused: :confused: :confused:

NEVERMIND, i see what they did

StatusX said:
expand the squared term and you'll see

hahah yeah, thanks man, i just saw that. :wink: :rolleyes:

As an advice for future "events",ALWAYS TRUST MATHWORLD from WOLFRAM.COM.

I haven't seen one single mistake on their site.

Daniel.

HOLY MOLY!

its like it all just revealed itself right before my eyes! IT WORKS! BY GOD ALMIGHTY IT WORKS! thanks for ur help! :) :smile: :smile: :biggrin:

thanks for the tip Daniel. i'll keep that in mind. mathworld rules. :cool: :cool: :wink:

1. What is the quadratic equation process?

The quadratic equation process is a mathematical method used to solve equations in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants. It involves using the quadratic formula, which is (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac))/ 2a, to find the solutions of the equation.

2. How do I know if I need to use the quadratic equation process?

You will need to use the quadratic equation process when you have an equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. This is known as a quadratic equation, and it cannot be solved by using basic algebraic methods.

3. What are the steps involved in the quadratic equation process?

The steps involved in the quadratic equation process are as follows:

1. Identify the values of a, b, and c in the equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0.
  2. Substitute these values into the quadratic formula: (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac))/ 2a.
  3. Simplify the formula and solve for x.
  4. If the value under the square root is negative, then the equation has no real solutions.
  5. If the value under the square root is zero, then the equation has one real solution.
  6. If the value under the square root is positive, then the equation has two real solutions.

4. Can the quadratic equation process be used for any type of equation?

No, the quadratic equation process can only be used for equations in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. It cannot be used for equations with higher powers, such as cubic or quartic equations.

5. Why is the quadratic equation process important?

The quadratic equation process is important because it allows us to find the solutions to quadratic equations, which are commonly used in many fields of science and mathematics. It also helps us understand the behavior of parabolas and can be used to solve real-world problems.