1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Quadratic Equation Process, is this wrong?

1. Feb 9, 2005 #1
    Hellooooo everybody. i have a very distinct feeling that there's something very wrong here...

OK, what i'm trying to do is to get to the quadratic equation through the standard form of a polynomial equation in the second degree. :smile:

watch this, and go to this website. it lists the process very briefly http://mathworld.wolfram.com/QuadraticEquation.html...in this picture http://mathworld.wolfram.com/qimg558.gif isn't it wrong to put the x+b/2a inside the parenthesis with the WHOLE thing raised to the second power?? i mean doesn't that mean that the WHOLE THING INCLUDING the 'x' gets squared?? that's wrong!! aha!! that's wrong!! i knew it!! i knew it!! :biggrin: :biggrin: Nah I'm just kidding there but i really do want to know if that's a typo or not. I think that when completing the square, you should only raise the "b" term in (the standard form) to the second power. like this:

[tex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/tex]

[tex](\frac{b}{2})^2[/tex]

subtract the 'c' and bring it over to the other side, then complete the square:
    [tex]ax^2+bx+(\frac{b}{2})^2=-c+(\frac{b}{2})^2[/tex]

is this right, as opposed to the ones shown on that website? :uhh: :uhh:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2005 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

The site is right, but I'm not sure what you're trying to do. What is your next step?

4. Feb 9, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm sure what's on that site is not wrong.How about u finish your calculations...???

Daniel.

5. Feb 9, 2005 #4
    Hey, how's it going? :smile: i'm gonna go do that, i'll get back at you all. :biggrin:

6. Feb 9, 2005 #5
    okay guys im in a pot-hole. :confused: :confused:

here's my work:

[tex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/tex]

[tex]ax^2+bx+(\frac{b}{2})^2=-c+(\frac{b}{2})^2[/tex]

[tex]ax^2+bx+(\frac{b^2}{4})=-c+(\frac{b^2}{4})[/tex]

[tex]\left(x-\frac{b}{2a}\right)^2=\left(\frac{-c+\frac{b^2}{4}}{a}\right)[/tex]

Then i took the square root of both sides and got this:

(x-(b/2a))=\sqrt(-c+(b^2/4)/ \sqrt(a)

then i did that thing where you can't have a square root on the bottom (forgot what its called), and to do that, i multiplied the top and bottom of the right side of the equation with the square root of a over the square root of a (1 in essence).

then it wasn't looking like it was going in the right direction...help. :uhh: :uhh: :frown:

7. Feb 9, 2005 #6

StatusX

Homework Helper

After you implicity divided by a between the last two (latex) steps, you no longer had a perfect square on the left. You need that last term to be b^2/4a^2. That's why they divided by a first. Once you correct that, your method becomes identical to theirs.

8. Feb 9, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you agree that the RHS of your last equation (written in tex) can be written
    [tex] \frac{b^{2}-4ac}{4a} [/tex]

Now extract square root...

Daniel.

P.S.Yes,an "a" is missing in the numerator...

9. Feb 9, 2005 #8
    i looked and looked and looked at it, but it didn't click.

how on earth did they go from here:
    http://mathworld.wolfram.com/qimg557.gif

to here:
    http://mathworld.wolfram.com/qimg558.gif

what happened to the x in the left in the second step?? i mean, it was, (b/a)x :confused: :confused: :confused:

10. Feb 9, 2005 #9

StatusX

Homework Helper

expand the squared term and you'll see

11. Feb 9, 2005 #10
  12. Feb 9, 2005 #11
    hahah yeah, thanks man, i just saw that. :wink: :rolleyes:

13. Feb 9, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As an advice for future "events",ALWAYS TRUST MATHWORLD from WOLFRAM.COM.

I haven't seen one single mistake on their site.

Daniel.

14. Feb 9, 2005 #13
    HOLY MOLY!!

its like it all just revealed itself right before my eyes!! IT WORKS!! BY GOD ALMIGHTY IT WORKS!! thanks for ur help! :) :smile: :smile: :biggrin:

thanks for the tip Daniel. i'll keep that in mind. mathworld rules. :cool: :cool: :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?