1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The quality factor

1. Oct 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the fractional change in the resonant frequency ([itex]\Delta \omega/ \omega_{0}[/itex]) of a lightly damped simple harmonic oscillator is ≈ [itex](8Q^{2})^{-1}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    Is this a formula for the resonant frequency?
    [tex]
    \omega_{m} = \omega_{0}\left(1 - \frac{1}{2Q^{2}}\right)^{1/2}
    [/tex]
    How would I use this formula?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Right now I'm in a place where I'm not sure what this question is asking. I'm trying to move to a situation where I understand what is being asked. What does fractional change in the resonant frequency mean? What parameter is changing that causes the resonant frequency to change?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

When Q is infinite, the resonant frequency =ω0

At any practical value of Q, the resonant frequency changes from this a little, and becomes
    resonant frequency =ωm as given in that equation.

I'm speculating that they want you to use the first term of a Taylor Series expansion to approx a power of ½ by something to a power of 1.

4. Oct 11, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That formula will not lead to the desired answer. Are you sure it isn't [itex]\omega_{m} = \omega_{0}\left(1 - \frac{1}{(2Q)^{2}}\right)^{1/2}[/itex]? That's what seems to be implied by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_oscillator.

5. Oct 11, 2013 #4
    so the fractional change means: how far away from [itex]\omega_{0}[/itex] is [itex]\omega_{m}[/itex]? How do I apply the taylor series expansion to this question?

6. Oct 11, 2013 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Fractional change would be ( ωm - ω0 ) / ω0

See how much you can simplify that expression.

7. Oct 11, 2013 #6
    I'm getting
    [tex]
    \left(1-\frac{1}{2Q^{2}}\right)^{1/2}-1
    [/tex]

8. Oct 11, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... where Q is large, right? So expand the square root expression according to binomial / Taylor and take the first few terms as an approximation. You'll have to figure out how many terms to take.

9. Oct 11, 2013 #8
    thank you very kindly for your help. I see what you mean about how my formula needs parenthesis.

10. Oct 11, 2013 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... where Q is large, right? So expand the square root expression according to binomial / Taylor and take the first few terms as an approximation. You'll have to figure out how many terms to take.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted